Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Fool - Mixed by Artbass
Hi all,

after being away for quite some time now, I've came back to the library and as soon as I heared this song I knew I had to mix it. It made me smile and the smile kept growing the further I heared the song (though that had nothing to do with the lyrics, as a non native music comes first Wink ). In my book that is a good sign, so here we are.

With a bunch of great sounding tracks and a good arrangement this one mixed itself so I spent more time listening to it, nodding with my head, tapping with my feed etc., than riding the faders.

This is my first mix in months.

Cheers
Artbass

.mp3    Patrick_Talbot-Fool-Mixed_by_Artbass_V1.mp3 --  (Download: 7.93 MB)

Glad you liked the song Artbass! And especially that it made you smile (and nod your head and tap your feet!), that was the idea! Smile
The whole thing is a joke, really, doesn't mean that it shouldn't groove, right? Wink

Now your mix: I really like the vocals and especially the bgvs (and I like that you've used the "eyebrows" well).
I find it a bit too LCR though, and it's alright on monitors but a bit too much separated on headphones.
I'm generally not a big fan, and I'm finding it that there are lots of space in between these 3 positions that you didn't really used.
The Rhodes sound very dry and alone on the right for example. The drums sound a bit jammed in the middle and I think the snare could get a bit more punch, it's a bit "lazy sounding" at the moment, Finally the rhythm guitar is quite alone on the left (fortunately there is the accent guitar coming at the end of the main riff that makes it breathe a little on the right as well).

So in short, I think the tones and balance is good in your mix (except perhaps for the drums which could do with some more punch), but the extra wide LCR mix is really not my cup of tea. The song arrangement is rather sparse to make this mixing choice stand out in a bad way IMHO. None of my song have been arranged for that kind of panning TBH.

A taste thing perhaps, and maybe you prefer it like that, in which case, that's fine!
But to me I would prefer a better panning strategy.
Keep smiling and keep it up! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here