Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lookout Mountain - HB Mix
Just when I thought I had a good mix on this song....NOT.

Yours makes me rethink all that I am doing. I will learn a lot from your mix. Nothing better than experienced folks to learn from.
This is a great site for Greenhorns like me.

Thanks again for a great mix......Curley
Hey Curley, thanks for listening and for your kind words....I'm glad you liked the mix.

You're right about this site ..... it is amazing! I've been around for about 18 months and my mixing has improved as lot. Hearing other peoples mixes of the same tracks used to blow me away because I couldn't believe how good they sounded compared to my own....and that spurred me on to research and practice, and invest in some good listening gear.

I've received a lot of good advice from other members, not all of it was pleasant at the time but all of it has been useful. Getting involved and giving feedback is an incredibly important part of the process too even if you can only give anecdotal observations rather than specific technical advice - Its all part of the same learning curve.

Cheers and keep on mixing
Latest version, mix_1.2. Worked on OH's

.mp3    Lookout Mountain_HB Mix_1.2.mp3 --  (Download: 12.21 MB)

(08-04-2015, 06:09 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: Latest version, mix_1.2. Worked on OH's

Hi there, great solid mix.
You did not mention if you layered the snare with a replacement sample.
Well if you didn't, this is a sort of a miracle, since I hammered the snare track and all the drum ensemble for a long time without getting anything nearly as good. Eventually I gave up and replaced.
If you did replace the snare, that's a good pick and consistent with the mix style.

I would consider once more the vox. not in sheer sibilance but in balancing with just a little bit of some bottom-body eq. Just personal taste, anyway.

best mix so far!
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(26-11-2015, 04:36 PM)Lammy Wrote:

Hi there, great solid mix.
You did not mention if you layered the snare with a replacement sample.
Well if you didn't, this is a sort of a miracle, since I hammered the snare track and all the drum ensemble for a long time without getting anything nearly as good. Eventually I gave up and replaced.
If you did replace the snare, that's a good pick and consistent with the mix style.

I would consider once more the vox. not in sheer sibilance but in balancing with just a little bit of some bottom-body eq. Just personal taste, anyway.

best mix so far!
cheers

hey Lammy, thx for listening.

Yes, i did do snare replacement. Cant remember why but probably struggled to get the tone i was after. Its not a complete replacement - i used the original snare to trigger the sample in an aux track and blended the two sounds together into a snare bus so it's more an augmented sound than a replacement.

Glad u enjoyed the mix.

Cheers, Simon

Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

https://soundcloud.com/hbguitar
Whats the tempo of the song? Cant find out.. Please help me!
(19-03-2017, 12:05 PM)LARIX Wrote: Whats the tempo of the song? Cant find out.. Please help me!

approx 56bpm.......this is usually found in the readme text file that Mike puts up with all the audio tracks. Hope you got a chance to mix the song
Be fierce in your encouragement, kind in your criticism and try and remember that the art of a good critique is not to make someone else's mix sound like yours...but to help the mixer realize their own vision.

(26-11-2015, 04:36 PM)Lammy Wrote:

Hey Lammy - just opened this thread up for the first time in 2 yrs and listened to the mix as i was here.....you're spot on about the vox...definitely needs some bottom end. Cheers, Simon