Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
(It's) Not You (it's me)
I've worked on this song off and on over the past few months. Really tricky track. There are some really rough edits in this. Wasn't able to cover them all, but I got a lot of them. The bass tone was like trying to wrestle a damned bear. I think I ended up with a nice big mix. Hope you enjoy!

Draper

.mp3    Not You.mp3 --  (Download: 7.94 MB)

Gross, wtf happened to my low end
There's always something glaringly wrong with my first bounces. . . why?

.mp3    Not Me (low end handling).mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

So, I took some time off of this song, and came back to it. I think I am actually really happy with the results. This song had some real issues, and it took a lot to coax out of it what I could, especially in that damned low end region.

Cheers!

Draper

.mp3    Not Me (low end handling) overhaul 2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.93 MB)

Okay, multiband comp was in order. Got that out of the way and now we have much less rumble. Amazing how that works.

.mp3    Not Me (low end handling) overhaul 5.mp3 --  (Download: 7.93 MB)

Okay. . . . My entire monitoring situation has to be addressed I think. Could somebody with a good handle on their listening environment let me know how loose and nasty my bass really is, or is it tight and controlled? I feel like I'm getting lied to by my monitors. Listening on my go to, listen-to-90%-of-my-music, cheap $22 Bluetooth headphones that my ears have really become accustomed to (yes, they may get a little distorted from other songs in my music library, but nothing like the low end mess I have in all of the above posts) and everything goes to crap. Am planning of buying some 650's to help me improve my referencing, since my room is far from perfect as well, but as I'm sure everyone knows, it will take time for my ears to know what they are hearing.

So in short, how terribly uncontrolled does the bass sound in my most recent mix?
If anyone cares, I had my power amp set to the wrong impedance setting. Don't know how much it will help, but there should be some improvements. Ordered some hd-650's, a new set of monitors (or I should say a set of monitors, as my "monitors" or consumer sony speakers atm). Hopefully scarlet 18i I bought will drive the 650's sufficiently.
Okay, getting kinda tired of this, but I think I may have improved my situation greatly at the flick of a switch!

.mp3    mix 2 (speaker fix).mp3 --  (Download: 7.97 MB)

(06-04-2015, 07:52 AM)loweche6 Wrote: Okay, getting kinda tired of this, but I think I may have improved my situation greatly at the flick of a switch!

Hi Draper
I don't know if your still monitoring your mix's, but I was getting ready to post my mix and was going through the thread listening to different mix's. I have to say at a flick of a switch your last mix pulled it together. What a difference from the first version to the last, I admire your tenacity to keep going till you felt it was right. Love the tone and balance, the one thing I believe would make it pop more is to shape the bass some more, bring it out to support the guitars a bit more. I know, the bass is like wrestling a bear.. Tongue
Well done!!
Cheers
KSmile
Gear:-Zoom R24 interface, controller - Cubase/Reaper - Assorted Waves, Airwindows suite, AKG K240 Cans, Event TR5 reference monitors.