Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
" Set Me Free" Fish's track
Hey there, aspiring producers and engineers Big Grin I've been trying out reaper, mixing and mastering songs with it. Most of the time, I'm always bad at mixing Patrick Talbot's songs due to the really unique (Trying not be offensive here Undecided) vocal Patrick has. But this had been a experience for me.
Here, I'm trying to achieve a sort of studio version of that "snarky puppy" kind of sound. Any kind of constructive criticism is appreciated Wink
(The track is both mixed and mastered)

I like your songs, Patrick Tongue Keep it up!

.mp3    PatrickTalbot - Set Me Free -002.mp3 --  (Download: 10.99 MB)

Polishing turds is not a type of business that you want to frequently do.
That's a cool mix. Kind of a deluxe version with some lush space! I like it.
I especially like your drums, the snare sounds great! And generally the ambience on the track, horns and guitars sound wide and smooth.
BTW I'm not offended in any ways about the vocals, I wouldn't pretend to be a singer really, and I have a hard time mixing them myself most of the time...
The only thing that caught my attention was the long delay you used on the guitar during the instrumental pre-chorus (before 'set me free'), I think it's a bit too much and it's blurring the horns and causing some harmonic clash that is perhaps not to the best effect.
But that's all the criticism I can find on that mix. Great job!
(And I hope it was not too much of a bad business polishing that turd! Wink)
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Haha, I literally had to use another daw just to clean up the vocal, and finalizing the "polishing" process in my main mixing DAW. Yeah, I think the delay is a bit too long, maybe a mono delay could be a better option though. I'll mix and master the song again in about a day (or shorter!) as I've spent this day arranging a song in Ableton. Whew!

Fun fact: Read my Bio Big Grin
I've edited the mix and master Big Grin Sorry that I kept you waiting Undecided
However though, the difference is quite subtle.

.mp3    PatrickTalbot - Set Me Free -003.mp3 --  (Download: 10.99 MB)

Still think the delay on the guitar during the pre-chorus is too much, but apart from that, it sounds really good to me.
Great job! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here