Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot - Fool
I did it again Wink

.mp3    PTalbot_Full_mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Not bad mjuszikus.
I find that the drums have a bit too much high end, and this make them sound a little brittle.
At the same time, I'm wondering if the kick is not pushing too much in a limiter because it sounds like it is distorting at times.
The bass on the other hand, is not very present, I think it would need more midrange and high end.
Finally I think the lead guitar is too loud.
So, some level issues and some work to do on the overall balance and particularly drum sound.
Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thank you for answer Patrick.
Your are right with the kick and snare.

But I'm a drummer and i think that your not right with bass and solo guitar Wink
If you need mid and high in the bass you have to do it in your record. I don't have bass amp to do it. By the way if you have guitar and rhodes or keys there is no need to do bass with high eq.
Solo on guitar must be "Hendrix sound" and that's all.

I will do second version - "for consumers" Wink
Don't you have bass amp emulations? You could also add some saturation to get more mid and highs harmonics, it's something I often do on bass, not distortion as such, just bringing some more harmonic content, it's quite doable with the provided source.
In the last chorus, the lead guitar is louder/more present than the vocals, so it's clearly too much in my book! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Sorry for that. That is of course different kind of music:

http://www.progarchives.com/mp3.asp?id=58

Do you like this bass? What can you tell about bass in this song? Is it just background of solid rock sound?
I thought the bass was OK in some sections but disappearing in others...

The low-end is there, but I find that a shame when an instrument is present but you cannot really hear it distinctly, I don't see the point of having it if that's the case.
But then again I'm not too much in favour of wall-of-sound type of mixes, although it's quite genre related of course, in the case of a power progressive rock track like this one, it works better than in a sparser instrumentation track like mine.

But your mix is your mix, in any case.
I'm just telling you what I'm hearing and what effect this has to my perception of the song, up to you to take into account if that fits your vision or not. Provided that you have a vision of the sound you want to achieve and that this vision makes sense with the style/intent of the song, it's all good. Wink

Some air moved here
In my opinion all new soundS is BAD. I don't recognise sound of old times in your mixes too.

But i didn't do good mixes too Wink

I can tell that you're writing good songs. But You have to record some live things just like Alex Machacek or Alex Gunia Wink

Ah, well! I wouldn't pretend being a good mixer for sure, and I'm not so much of a player either, really.
What I like most is working on arrangement/production but I'm just doing it for fun... as the song says: I'm just a fool, singing the blues Wink

Some air moved here
Ok - it's my second mix. Enjoy Wink

.mp3    PTalbot_Full_mix.mp3 --  (Download: 7.73 MB)

Sound fine by me. Good job! Smile

Some air moved here