Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Lookout Mountain - First Try
This band likes wide open spaces. So do I. Guitar solo doesn't fit, but will work on it.

The NOOB needs direction.

Curley

OK.....got a little goofy on the first try. We're back in Earths orbit on this try.

Any direction welcome..........Curley

.mp3    THE LONG WAIT_LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN_V3 BS.1770-1.mp3 --  (Download: 4.89 MB)

Hey Vanwinkles52,

I guess with any sort of country/country rock/country pop etc etc in fact anything with country in it......the vocal is absolute king/queen.

In your mix the vox is very wet and so sounds distant and therefore not in the forefront of the listeners attention. By contrast, the acoustic guitars are front and centre (physco acoustically speaking not literally) so the relationship between vox and acugtr is reversed to what it should be.

I'm not saying acugtr needs to be wet but from a listening point of view they should sit behind the vox......some gentle EQ to soften the highs should do it plus a reduction in level perhaps.

Apart from that, the mix sounds OK....the rhythm section sounds pretty good - maybe the OHs are a tad high in the drum mix as the crash cymbals are fairly dominating. So it all depends on if you want a genre accurate mix as to whether you make any more changes or not.

Cheers
Thank you very much. I am just getting started and can use all the direction you folks can throw my way. Thanks again........Curley
You have far too much reverb on everything here ,its leaving no definition to anything,
I cant comment on the mix because I cant hear it really because of so much verb.
Just use a little room verb and maybe a plate for the vox with a tad of pre delay.
Calm it down and start again.
OK Folks........I left it out in the sun to dry a little. I hope this is going in the right direction.

Keep those cards and letters coming!

Thanks to all for the helping hand................Curley

.mp3    The Long Wait_Lookout Mountain_V6-Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 4.85 MB)

That's much better.....we can hear the voice now. Its still a touch wet, but it's into the realms of personal taste now. Keep it up!

(09-03-2015, 08:43 AM)HbGuitar Wrote: That's much better.....we can hear the voice now. Its still a touch wet, but it's into the realms of personal taste now. Keep it up!
Thank you so much for taking time to listen. I really rely on feedback to get me going in the right direction. Your input has me re-charged and ready to......."Keep it up". Thanks again..............Curley
Try just working on balance first before you start too much with reverb etc.
Your mixing will come on much quicker
(09-03-2015, 05:09 PM)takka360 Wrote: Try just working on balance first before you start too much with reverb etc.
Your mixing will come on much quicker

Thank you for sticking with me on this one. I appreciate your help.
My editing skills are rather limited at this point. Pro tools is a handful to say the least. Are there specific balance issues that I should work out? What is it that sticks out?

I should mention that due to elderly folks upstairs, I am forced to do this on Sennheiser HD 280 headphones.

Thanks again................Curley
Taking the advice of some great members brings us to the third try.
I hope this is moving in the right direction. Learning comes from the feedback. Thanks to all of you.............Curley

.mp3    THE LONG WAIT_LOOKOUT MOUNTAIN_V8-MASTERED.mp3 --  (Download: 7.26 MB)