Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My First upload, go easy on me :)
Be really getting into mixing for the few months, although I've dabbled in it here and there for a little while.

Really Appreciate this site! Thank you!

Please Let me know any strengths and weaknesses so I can improve

Thanks

Nat

.mp3    MerryGold - MotherLoad.mp3 --  (Download: 5.36 MB)

Any feed back??

Please??...
Hi Nat. Nice song to start on your mixing adventure.

Overall sound is too muddy for me which probably comes from excess reverb and lower mids.
In this song the bass guitar should be the main source of bottom end warmth, and could use some more attention.
The song also sounds very mono. Try panning to separate the banjo and accordian. Also look at duplicating the BGV, create some doubles from the duplicate and then wide pan. The guitar solo need to come up and pop out in the mix for some more interest.

My recommendation is to firstly drop the reverb, and focus on presence and clarity - especially with the lead vocals. When you have that nailed, then bring a touch of reverb. Maybe EQ out any reverb muddiness after the plugin - if it is in an effects send.

Keep mixing, and posting for comments. It all helps. Cheers ....

(08-03-2015, 08:46 AM)Third Party Wrote: Hi Nat. Nice song to start on your mixing adventure.

Overall sound is too muddy for me which probably comes from excess reverb and lower mids.
In this song the bass guitar should be the main source of bottom end warmth, and could use some more attention.
The song also sounds very mono. Try panning to separate the banjo and accordian. Also look at duplicating the BGV, create some doubles from the duplicate and then wide pan. The guitar solo need to come up and pop out in the mix for some more interest.

My recommendation is to firstly drop the reverb, and focus on presence and clarity - especially with the lead vocals. When you have that nailed, then bring a touch of reverb. Maybe EQ out any reverb muddiness after the plugin - if it is in an effects send.

Keep mixing, and posting for comments. It all helps. Cheers ....

Awesome!

Thanks so much for the tips!
(25-02-2015, 05:21 AM)pmannat Wrote: Be really getting into mixing for the few months, although I've dabbled in it here and there for a little while.

Really Appreciate this site! Thank you!

Please Let me know any strengths and weaknesses so I can improve

Thanks

Nat
Hi Nat,
One thing that might help get clutter out of the mix if you haven't already done it is this: Don't be afraid to throw things away that don't help your mix. By this I mean there are several tracks from this recording session that I either lowered significantly or removed altogether. Check out my mix - you can hear the result of this and numerous other cleanups.
I know there is so much cluttered ambience in the room mics that if you used much from them, it will be much more difficult to keep it clean.
Another thing you can do is carve out EQ spaces for each instrument (to an extent). An example is that I dropped the low end out of most everything else but the upright bass and then that upright came through deep and full. I even rolled off a bit of the deepest part of the bass to tighten it up. Almost all of my EQ work was subtractive. See what you think...
Also in this genre, don't be afraid to hard pan some instruments and even automate some pans - have fun with your imagination - mixing should be fun.Smile
Hope this is helpful - Happy Mixing!
WaltsAudio