Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
Set Me Free by Patrick Talbot
My Submission
Another great modern jazz song by Patrick.
The mix went very smoothly but had several little
clicky problems on the vocal track
I tried to fix them as best I could.

Thanks again Patrick for the song

Dave

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - Set Me Free (Mp3Mix).mp3 --  (Download: 11.09 MB)

Glad you dig the song Dave!
Cool mix, although I hear a few issues...
First I think the rhodes are taking too much sonic space, it's fine during the keys solo, but everywhere else it's masking a lot of the rest of the instrumentation, even the vocals in some places. I would narrow it (I remember I did in my own mix) and focus its frequencies so that it doesn't mask the bass, horns and vocals. The horns in particular sound very tiny compared to it.
About the vocal, I wasn't aware of the clicks, is that some mouth noises or some digital clicks? I need to review the export file.
The vocal sound you got is rather dark, I would try to put some air into it, perhaps high-pass it more (with a resonant filter perhaps so as not to thin it out too much), and boost some top.
There are some level issues with the vocal, for example at 2:40 the track suddenly disappear, or at least loses a good 3-4db.
The horns are definitely too low, and during the guitar solo, the rhythm guitar(s) are dominating too much.
So IMHO a few level and balancing issues, keep at it! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hi Guys,

As the person who runs the Discussion Zone, I'm afraid I felt I needed to come in here and take some action. I will not fan the flames by making any further comments on the removed posts in public. I would simply ask you both to refrain from commenting on each others threads if it's not possible to do so in a civil and constructive manner.

If in doubt, please refer back to The Three Commandments.

Many thanks in advance,

Mike Senior.