Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
my mix of this one
Hi guys. I used a lot of parallel compression on this one, check it out.

.mp3    mix Gabriel Merc music.mp3 --  (Download: 810.73 KB)

This is a very 'smiley' EQ curve on this mix, and I think you've probably gone too far in that direction, even for the charts. The problem is that you can't really turn this up at all without hurting your ears -- it's too harsh at the high end -- and the bass doesn't really transfer well to smaller listening systems. Do you really need that much 1-3kHz on that distorted synth pad? It's really interfering with the vocal transmission for me, and means that you've having to push the vocal presence frequencies into the pain zone to reclaim their intelligibility.

As with jorger's mix, I think the kick needs more low end on it than this, even in the charts. It might be that you need to trigger a sample for that component if it's not there on the multitracks, but one way or another it feels that there's something missing at the moment.
Hi Mike. Thanks for the tips. do you think this smiley EQ can have something to do with my room and my speakers? I was listening to some other mix with my HS50Ms, and then with my headphones on. It sounded like that too. I just changed the EQ on my speakers to drop 2db on the mids so I won't fill the drive to up the low and de high end up, do you think that would help it?
(25-02-2013, 10:07 PM)Montechiari Wrote: Hi Mike. Thanks for the tips. do you think this smiley EQ can have something to do with my room and my speakers?

That's always a possibility.

Quote:I was listening to some other mix with my HS50Ms, and then with my headphones on. It sounded like that too. I just changed the EQ on my speakers to drop 2db on the mids so I won't fill the drive to up the low and de high end up, do you think that would help it?

Probably, although the best method of heading off difficulties with your overall mix tonality is simply to reference your mix against commercial tracks. There's no such thing as a 'neutral' or 'flat' monitoring system, so you have to get into the habit of compensating for whichever system you happen to be using -- which means referencing against known productions.

Not cool ! Too loud and distorted. The keys are the drive( the main instrument on the song
Beside the drums .. Not the synth so turn it down low please.. Smile ...