Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My mix (I'm only 15 years old, please comment)
That's my mix of "Come Around", I'm kinda new to mixing, so it's possible that this mix doesn't have everything is minimum, but I read and watch videos about mixing almost everyday, I'm trying to learn everything I can to do it in the right way. Please comment if there's anything sounding silly or if it's good...whatever

Thanks a lot

.mp3    Come Around.mp3 --  (Download: 3.71 MB)

Welcome to the Discussion Zone! I wish I'd started learning about mixing when I was your age, so make the most of it! Smile Anyway...

An interesting idea with the heavy vocal effects, although I have to say that it seems a bit of a shame to cover up such an evocative raw performance. It also doesn't help that the effects emphasise the 3.5kHz harshness that creeps into her sound in the choruses, and that the intelligibility of her lyrics also suffers into the bargain. If you're determined to pursue this effects tactic, then I'd heavily de-ess the effect send, because some of the consonants are really hitting the amp simulation(?) hard and sound rather hard and spitty.

Perhaps as a side-effect of this vocal processing, the chorus texture is too harsh for me. If the bass were a little more prominent in the balance, that might help a bit, but I'd advise some cuts in the 2-6kHz range on some of the guitars and the vocal effect's return channel.
Oh man!
If only music technology was as evolved as it is now when I was in my teens!

This is an interesting approach you have formulated with the vocal being right up there in level and everything else sitting well back in the mix.
Only my opinion, but maybe bring them down in volume a little to help them blend a bit better into the rest of the instrumentation.
Also is the vocal the only stereo effect you have going on? Most of the instrumentation, including the drums seems to be mono. (though I think I hear an acoustic guitar with some L-R placement)
I like this approach.
You have given me something to consider when I get around to looking at this song.
Thanks for teaching an old dog a new trick! Smile (though mono drums have been around longer than even I have) Wink

Dags
So many songs, so little time!