Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Jesu - Chamber Mix
My experiment with the stereo field. Tried to make it a little more realistic by finding each instrument a place in the field to create some separation between instruments and make it feel like you are right there at front stage.

High passed the hi spot track panned to the right. Low passed the low spot track and panned to the left. Killed the low and mid in the overheads. EQ'd the room mic track to accent the harpsichord. Had to flip phase on the overheads and switch channels on both stereo tracks to align the oboe to the right.

Russell

.mp3    Jesu.mp3 --  (Download: 6.87 MB)

Quite a heavily effected mix this, and in that respect it feels overworked for the classical style. it also sounds as if you've worked a bit too hard with the EQ, because there's harshness in 2.5kHz and far too much crispy extreme HF for the ear. Are you applying some kind of buss compression processing? The dynamics feel quite squashed too, in a way that seems out of keeping with this kind of music. In fact, a lot of these things can be heard quite well on the applause at the end too, which is rarely a good sign. To be fair, though, I don't particularly like like harsichord in general, so I'm always going to find it difficult to love a more harpsichord-heavy balance!

The other thing that bothers me here is the audience foot/page noises, which are coming up distractingly high in the mix -- presumably from the M&S pair's figure-8 mic? A bit more of an immersive reverb sound would probably help flatter things a bit more too.