Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dorothy Spedemix
Wow. This was a really fast mix, took only couple of hours. It's amazing how a solid arrangement (which has been thought through) can streamline a mix. I was a tad bummed about the stereo drum track, but it came out pretty fine after some parallel distortion and careful automation with it. This song didn't really beg any echo Big Grin

.m4a    Dorothy_MixOff.m4a --  (Download: 2.8 MB)

Bravo! Only listening on the little PC speakers at the moment, but the balance sounds pukkah to me already, and I love the way my vocal's coming across too. I'd always thought of that little whistley synth at the top of the second verse as a bit of background ear-candy, but I actually really like the way you've brought it out and made a little production hook out of it -- I should have done that! Smile Look forward to listening to this on the monitors later in the month and hopefully I can give you some more detailed feedback then.

(07-02-2013, 03:12 AM)Spede Wrote: This song didn't really beg any echo

I agree, and the proof of your pudding is in the eating -- it tastes good to me! Smile I put a bit more verb and delay on it myself ten years ago, but I like your vision for it too.

Well, the good news is that the big speakers don't undermine my first impression! Nice meaty subs there, but well controlled too. The mix is deep and wide, and the vocal absolutely in your face. I do still feel that there could have been more contrast in terms of dry/wet here, though, and the final drop chorus is where I feel it most. Somehow the harp should really blow up there to my ears -- it does it a bit, but who doesn't want more?! Smile

The string basses are maybe a bit of a casualty, too. We get the bass from them, but not really that nice woody character that recommended them to me at the programming stage. The middle section and outro both feel like they're a bit hollow without this for me.

Still love the whistle-synth in the second verse!

Thanks for letting me hear that -- nice to revisit this song, if only for nostalgia purposes. Ah, those happy hours programming a VP9000...

Smile
Your mix actually drew my attention to this tune, and thank you for the inspiriation. Its cool how we hear things diffrently, I have mucho respect for you ability to sounddesign, specially the extra basses, its a very clean mix, despite the use of overdrive. Great job !
Old ears, old gear, little boy inside love music and sounds and my wife, not necessarily in that order