Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If You Say Mix - Any comments appreiciated!
Hey guys, here's the mix i did a little while ago, would be great to hear what people think! Cheers!

.mp3    James May - If You Say.mp3 --  (Download: 7.92 MB)

The reverb sound feels a bit distracting to me -- it's a bit 'Tales From The Crypt', which seems a bit incongruous unless you're deliberately wanting to give it a gothic twist. (Not something I'd associated with James's myself -- lovely pleasant chap! Smile) I'd ditch that preset and try a few different ones that don't have as long a tail or as prominent resonances. I reckon if you solo the reverb return you'll hear some pretty unpleasant stuff going on.

I like the clarinet and squeezebox sounds in a general sense, and the guitar, while not exactly natural, has a kind of jangly character that I rather like in a subjective sense! I don't know what your monitoring situation's like, but my subwoofer's complaining a bit from time to time about the subbass levels, and in general the bottom octaves are quite inconsistent in level, with some bass notes booming out alarmingly.

The vocal is nice and loud, which is great for a song like this, but I'd take out at least 4dB at 350Hz, because it's sounding rather woolly, and also be careful of overburdening that frequency region in its reverb effects (as it is currently).