Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wall Of Death Femme Mix
Here is my mix for the track Femme by Wall of Death. It is my 2nd mix in ProTools, I mixed using stock plug-ins and I monitored it on a pair of 5 inch JBL studio monitors.

For the drums I used E.Q. and compression, did not replace with any samples. I created a couple aux inputs: one for overall drum bus compression, one for a drum bus reverb, one for snare reverb, a compression track for kick, one for the snare, and one for the toms. The drums were very well recorded and they did not need too much work. I worked on them first and shaped the guitars, vocals, and bass around them.

The bass I made some simple E.Q. cuts and boosts as well as a fair amount of compression. The signal jumped around from quiet to loud going from the verse to the chorus.

The guitars were very muffled and lacked energy in the 2.5k to 6k range, so I boosted around there to give them some more bite and high-frequency presence.

The vocals were not my favorite, but I just used some simple compression, e.q. and reverb to get it to gel with the mix.

The last step of my process was to put a limiter across the master fader to maximize the volume of the track and tame some of the transients.

.mp3    WallofDeath_Femme150210.mp3 --  (Download: 8.7 MB)

Your volume balance sounds ok so far. In may opinion the rythm guitars are little to quite and the bass to loud.

I think you should:

- tighten up the low end of your mix and tame your high end
- the guitars bear a boost around 3-3.5 khz
- the lead guitars sound muffled, a cut around 300-500 hz helps
- the vocals bear a deep notch around 500 hz, due to a bad recording.

Hope that helps.

J.D.