Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set me free
It is just one of the songs I mixed. I like the mixture of jazz and funk in it. The snare drum was the only thing I had trouble with.

.mp3    set me free.mp3 --  (Download: 11.06 MB)

I see what you mean about the snare. I suppose you could sample replace it. It's also quite loud right now.
Not a bad mix but there are some weird level decisions, and I'm not convinced about the vocal reverb/eq it's a bit boomy and distant.
The levels issue I was talking about are 1/ the toms are almost non-existent and 2/ the lead guitar at the end is so low that it doesn't make sense. The rhythm guitars are at least 3 times louder, so I wonder what happened here.
I'd say if you fix these level issues and the vocal, and make the snare work a bit better, then you'd have a cool mix...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
[quote='ptalbot' pid='28547' dateline='1423607940']
I see what you mean about the snare. I suppose you could sample replace it. It's also quite loud right now.
Not a bad mix but there are some weird level decisions, and I'm not convinced about the vocal reverb/eq it's a bit boomy and distant.

Alright. But you are wrong with fx on main vocal I used. It is not reverb, it is a delay with a little bit of distortion on it for kinda 90s- ish vibe. Maybe I could hpf it a little higher. And I can also tame the rhytm guitars down.
Yeah, the delay then. A bit boomy to me.
And the toms are really missing, and the rhythm guitars are too loud but even so the lead guitar is too low.
But of course that's what I'm hearing and it's your mix, so do what you feel is right! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Version 2. Louder toms and lead guitars, rtm gtrs are quieter, also I got rid of boomy delay, and replaced it with different one.
Did you replace the previous mp3 with it? I don't find any difference... ?

Some air moved here
(12-02-2015, 06:59 PM)ptalbot Wrote: Did you replace the previous mp3 with it? I don't find any difference... ?

Version 2. I did not replace the 1st one with it.

.mp3    version2.mp3 --  (Download: 11.45 MB)

Sounds better Obelix. Better vocal sound, less rhythm guitar and louder solo in the end part. Good job!
Still missing the toms a bit though and it seems the bgvs have a tendency to be louder than the lead.

Some air moved here
(13-02-2015, 02:09 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Sounds better Obelix. Better vocal sound, less rhythm guitar and louder solo in the end part. Good job!
Still missing the toms a bit though and it seems the bgvs have a tendency to be louder than the lead.

Do I need to make version 3 or is this (version 2) the final mix ?
(13-02-2015, 12:04 PM)Obelix Wrote: Do I need to make version 3 or is this (version 2) the final mix ?

Well, it's up to you, man! Smile
I'm just pointing things out. But it's your choice how far you want to go with a tune and how much of the comments you want to take in.
As they say: "A mix is never finished, just abandoned."

Some air moved here