Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Run Run Run
Hey guys. Here's my mix. Did it at home on my HS5's, untreated square room (yikes). After listening in my car I'm not really happy with the vocal clarity, but I'm not going to spend any more time on this mix. Your honest feedback is appreciated, no need to sugar coat anything with me. Thanks.

Chris

Edit:

I couldn't resist. I lowered the kick a little bit. Didn't add any FX, but I think the kick sits better now. Thanks for the suggestion. (also pushed more out of the 2bus limiter since the kick was lower)

.mp3    Arise_v2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.01 MB)

.mp3    Arise_Updated.mp3 --  (Download: 4.8 MB)

-MB Pro, Core i7, High Sierra
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Jim Williams Modded GFA-555
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Pretty good mix overall.

The bass drum is a little loud and agreesive sounding for the style and in contrast with the smooth vocals.

Other than that the mix feels good it only lacks some automation and ear candy fx to make the track more interesting, this song arrangement is pretty static.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(08-02-2015, 05:34 PM)jeremias666 Wrote: Pretty good mix overall.

The bass drum is a little loud and agreesive sounding for the style and in contrast with the smooth vocals.

Other than that the mix feels good it only lacks some automation and ear candy fx to make the track more interesting, this song arrangement is pretty static.

Thanks for the feedback. You know what's weird is I played my mix streaming from this site in my car and the kick sounded a lot louder than in the file I played directly from my phone. I do tend to make kicks louder because of my rap producion background. I knew I should have put some more fx on it but I spent too long mixing this track in the first place, I just got all the sounds cleaned up and printed.

Thanks for your time.
-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Neve 542, UBK Kush Electra, Pete's Place BAC 500 Compressors, DBX 165A, Eventide Omnipressor, SPL Transient Designer
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Hi Chris,

Glad you enjoyed the Mix Rescue mix/write-up!

(08-02-2015, 08:09 AM)iShouldBsleeping Wrote: After listening in my car I'm not really happy with the vocal clarity, but I'm not going to spend any more time on this mix.

I think the vocal tuning is part of the problem for me, but I'd say you've probably got a little too much low mids too -- try shelving off a couple of dB with a 200Hz shelf and see how it balances. A bit more 800kHz might help too, as there's not that much solidity to the midrange once the low mids are out of consideration.

Quote:Your honest feedback is appreciated, no need to sugar coat anything with me.

OK. Smile The mix as a whole feels a bit muffled, which speaks to me of more work needed in the low midrange, particular with high-pass filtering. I think the organ is a big culprit. The snare fills sound very dry -- a bit odd, in terms of blending with the otherwise rather nice and characteristic effects treatments you've used.

Can't tell on my PC speakers, but I suspect your organ may be a bit over-widened in stereo, which may cause you problems with mono fold-down.

Like the way the guitar and piano fit together, though! Thanks for submitting!

(09-02-2015, 09:36 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Hi Chris,

Glad you enjoyed the Mix Rescue mix/write-up!

First of all, thank you for taking the time to write such a detailed and useful response, I appreciate it very much!

(09-02-2015, 09:36 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: I think the vocal tuning is part of the problem for me, but I'd say you've probably got a little too much low mids too -- try shelving off a couple of dB with a 200Hz shelf and see how it balances. A bit more 800kHz might help too, as there's not that much solidity to the midrange once the low mids are out of consideration.

I just really started focusing on learning vocal mixing a few months ago, and the process is very intimidating to me. I never know if my moves are correct, and by the time I spend 30 min on them they sound very off, and not natural. With these, I couldn't decide what was best for the song so I just bussed them all together and did as little to them as possible because I knew I would mess them up if I really tried to process them. I'm going to message you about vocals after thisSmile

(09-02-2015, 09:36 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: OK. Smile The mix as a whole feels a bit muffled, which speaks to me of more work needed in the low midrange, particular with high-pass filtering. I think the organ is a big culprit. The snare fills sound very dry -- a bit odd, in terms of blending with the otherwise rather nice and characteristic effects treatments you've used.

You're right on the mark with this one. I did the organs first and after I got done with the bass and kick they were hidden, but I had spent so much time on the mix I just left it. The snare I actually liked.. I could made it wetter but it was like one of the last things I did and I just wanted to print it and upload. Thanks for the comments though, at least my mind was on the right track I just got lazy and didn't complete the problems I knew were there.

(09-02-2015, 09:36 AM)Mike Senior Wrote: Can't tell on my PC speakers, but I suspect your organ may be a bit over-widened in stereo, which may cause you problems with mono fold-down.

Like the way the guitar and piano fit together, though! Thanks for submitting!

You know I actually thought this as well so I summed to mono on an aux to make sure I didn't lose anything and if I remember correctly it didn't lose anything. I could be wrong though, I may have only monitored the whole mix in mono and not that individual instrument so it could have been lost and I didn't realize it because of the bass.

Yeah I was happy with the piano and guitar stuff as well, thanks! On to the next project!

Chris

-Apollo Quad
-PT 12.8.3
-SSL X-Desk
-Amphion Two18
-Burl B2 Bomber ADC
-Crane Song Solaris DAC
-Sennheiser HD650
Think that's a really solid mix. There's surely nothing I can say to compete with what's already said!

It has energy, and sounds 'commercial', in a good way!