Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Southern Sirens - Rachel
I rarely post my work on here but this song deserves it as it has to be the best one available on the site both music wise and sound quality wise.

Before i start to desrcipe what ive done with this mix id like to put forth a little bit of my background.

I am a professional sound engineer from northern Europe and now a days i only do live concerts (venue, festivals and a few bands on tour).
I was educated as a studio sound engineer but haven’t worked professionally in a studio for close to a decade now. I do how ever use a lot of the resources that this site offers to keep a bit in touch with studio technicians (most live sound engineers could recognise that live sound is the complete opposite of studio sound). I should mention that i am fairly biased toward heavy metal but I do have a weak spot for properly made country and folk music, and as most sound engineers, i am a sucker for a good sounding female vocal.

Everything ive done with this mix is fully intentional and i hope i covered all bases. I have used a lot of pseudo stereo since it is a rather fragile song with only congas and ukulele as percussion.

This mean that i haven’t used a lot of ambient effects (reverb, delay etc.) in effort to make it sound as natural as possible. The string section is a bit tricky as that is the main structure of the song along with only the ukulele so ive mixed it as i would do a string ensemble.
As for the congas ive made a pseudo stereo image to bias high and low slightly to left and right to make it work better for my ears. I also pushed them a bit further back than most would do as they seem to get to dominating to fast.

All eq, comp and so forth is done with emulated ssl and neve plug-ins (we use an avid digidesign venue desk where I work, hence I could borrow the ilock with the licenses from the desk Wink )
I also mixed the lead vocal as a pseudo stereo to widen it and avoid using to much reverb, and pushed a lot of the chorus vocal on it when able.

A few things i still need to do is audio restoration on the double bas as it has a lot of analogue noise and then i need to produce a master but i suspect ill spend a lot more time on this than i usually do.

All of this is of course fully available to the artist, no credits needed if they wish to use my work on their song.

.mp3    rachel.level.mp3 --  (Download: 5.08 MB)