Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My 80th post on this site, mix Pray for the rain
Another mix. When I am getting closer to 100 I feel that my mixes sound way better than before. I now do les EQ, compression and fx. And, songs start to sound better and better. I need some feedback.

.mp3    rain.mp3 --  (Download: 13.22 MB)

Hi Obelix - thanks for posting your mix! I had a chance to listen to it tonight, so I thought I would send you a note. I like your take on the background vocals - it was a unique blend I was hearing. I am used to a bit more reverb on the vocal part, so my first reaction was that they were too dry. It started to grow on me though as I listened on. The drums, especially the snare, seemed like they could benefit from a bit more reverb or space. It might just be taste Smile. There is also quite a bit of low end with the kick and bass.

Did you use a reference track? I would be interested to know what it is. Thanks for posting !

Cheers

Thomas
Did you use a reference track? I would be interested to know what it is. Thanks for posting !

I did not use any referece tracks, I did that mix by ear. Snare could have a bit more reverb, but I do not like using reverb on vocals by itself . If I use it on vocals I will put some kind of delay or EQ in front of it. If you like to hear it like some songs from 80s I will drown vocals and drums (snares and toms) in reverb. So let it be version 2.
I would mix it to your taste - I just wanted to offer a few observations.

Cheers

Thomas
Now the version 2. Better panning, more fx on main vocal and 80s style drums. I hope you will like it. You were right about vocal and drums. I mixed it this way (only drums, fx on main vocal and paning of two guitars in the chorus are changed), and the song just sounded to me like a record.
Now version 2.

.mp3    version 2.mp3 --  (Download: 13.22 MB)

Hi Obelix.

I only listen to your second mix. The overheads are very harsh. I think a deesser will help them here.
I find drums not really balanced : snare and kick are too much in front, but toms are way behind the rest. Guitars are too much behind. Maybe it was on purpose ?

Backing vocals could be a bit more in front, but that's my taste.
(10-02-2015, 10:39 AM)Mandubien Wrote: Hi Obelix.

I only listen to your second mix. The overheads are very harsh. I think a deesser will help them here.
I find drums not really balanced : snare and kick are too much in front, but toms are way behind the rest. Guitars are too much behind. Maybe it was on purpose ?

Backing vocals could be a bit more in front, but that's my taste.

Why, cause I could not hear anything wrong with drums I have here. Listen to the first mix, maybe you would like it better. You are right about guitars, they should have come louder.
Yep, I really prefer drums in the first mix. The voice could be a little warmer, but that's fine.
Do you usually listen to your mixes on different devices ? If it sounds nice on tv, cars, laptop, ipod... then you're good.

Also, at which volume do you mix with your monitors ? Loud volumes change the perception we have of sounds : they give more high and low ends, so when listening then at normal volume, you realize something's wrong. And less volume is also less reflection from the room Smile
(10-02-2015, 09:02 PM)Mandubien Wrote: Yep, I really prefer drums in the first mix. The voice could be a little warmer, but that's fine.
Do you usually listen to your mixes on different devices ? If it sounds nice on tv, cars, laptop, ipod... then you're good.

Also, at which volume do you mix with your monitors ? Loud volumes change the perception we have of sounds : they give more high and low ends, so when listening then at normal volume, you realize something's wrong. And less volume is also less reflection from the room Smile

I mix on headphones and I listen on cheap computer speakers in a room with high celing and sometimes I listen to my mixes on hi fi system that is 12 years old.