Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Brew - 'What I Want' mix
*Edit*
Hey y'all,
Decided to revisit this one with a new studio setup.
Please critique away!!

Is it me or was this tune particularly difficult to mix??
It's nice to get well recorded tracks but my ears were dyin from all of the 1.5-6k!

Anyways, I skimped a little bit on creativity to finish "a mix."

please critique away!

.m4a    What I Want Master (AAC).m4a --  (Download: 5.23 MB)

.mp3    WHAT I WANT 6.21.15 SJI.mp3 --  (Download: 8.97 MB)

And I thought it was just me...... Yes... this one is particularly 'hard' to mix. It's still on the back-burner of my DAW. I'll get back to it at some time (I think). Of all the Telefunken sessions, this one wasn't the best as far as track quality goes.

I digress.

Anyway... I think this sounds pretty respectable... all things considered. I wouldn't attempt to pick holes in this mix because I know where you're coming from. Great song - but what a pity about the tracks.
Greetings 20kHz sub C!
This is a very nice mix you have put together

The only thing I would suggest to be adjusted is the level of the backing ("cause the girl is what I want") which seems a little low in the mix.

Everything else has good level, tone and a healthy amount of dynamics.
I think I'll give up trying to make my tracks 'loud'. I don't seem to have the gear or the skills to make transparently compressed songs that seem to still have some punch in them.

Nice work, mate!
Dags
So many songs, so little time!
Bumping for new critiques! Big Grin Big Grin
This sounds very good albeit very middle of the road.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
(23-06-2015, 03:20 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This sounds very good albeit very middle of the road.

Thanks so much for your critique, however, I'm sorry but I was looking for a critique from someone who has experience.
(24-06-2015, 05:08 PM)20000 Hz Under The Sea Wrote:
(23-06-2015, 03:20 PM)Mixinthecloud Wrote: This sounds very good albeit very middle of the road.

Thanks so much for your critique, however, I'm sorry but I was looking for a critique from someone who has experience.

i have lots of experience in making decent coffee....will that suffice? Cool

picking up some noise on the RHS during the intro. i like the delays, but perhaps they are a little cliche? some sound shaping to add texture to them might help make the intro more sonically appealing? if the intro is cliche, then it suggests the rest of the song might be too.....and do i want to stay around or simply skip, kind of thing? those first few seconds are crucial for getting your audience to stick, yeah? i'd also filter out some of the mid on them....helps keep the guitar clean. you could also embrace this same idea with the BV's too, keep them away from the lead on the center and minimise congestion.

drums from the drummer's perspective....it looks silly on TV, eh? Tongue the floor tom punches one side of the cans...perhaps unload some of it's weight into the mid and pull it more towards 20 percent'ish? oh, now it's getting irritating, it's used more than once! you could always get creative and mute the rest of it Big Grin The ride is too shouty and fatiguing - it's especially fatiguing because there's nothing to balance it's brightness in the other channel, so it needs care.

the mp3 is clipping....perhaps back off your limiter before feeding it into the encoder.

this sounds like a fairly static mix, with little in the way of dynamic variation, especially between verse and chorus? i'd consider ways of differentiating the two so your chorus has more impact and emotional appeal. even narrowing the sound stage during the verse, then opening it up for the chorus would leave more of an impression, for example. a change in level or fiddling with the frequencies with a little more treble than the verse would give an illusion of increased loudness without touching the fader/automating. you could also consider changing the depth in some way. but do something different, eh?

i'm not convinced by the 20 foot wide piano in this song. subjective? could be.

the sibilance in the LV needs some attention. i'm not aufait with the raw goods, but i suspect the vocal was fairly well compressed during tracking, if only to make the microphone sound more appealing than perhaps it really is (common strategy with mic salesman). i'm hearing some distortion in his vocal which is giving me some clues...and i'm wondering if you've added even more compression to it? this would certainly draw additional sibilance into your mix.

the kick's fundamental isn't working here, and you've given priority to the bass guitar instead. i don't know if this helps, but i work the kick and the bass guitar first in the loudest part of the song....and this sets the headroom and levels against which all other instruments will be based. so the kick and the bass guitar can be EQ'd to work well together. if you're using reflex/ported monitors, it will be a lot more challenging. maybe this is why the harmonic of the kick has been exposed instead, simply because you can hear it better? it means you've lost it's weight and some of the drama and drive along with it, sadly. sidechaining simply distracts from doing a proper job in the first place.

on the master, i'd clear out some of the low-mids in the side channel. it will help make the song lighter and more responsive, especially in the stereo domain. pulling out some 350Hz with a Q to suit (let your ears be the judge of the actual values) will work wonders. if you fixed the sibilance, the mix could be slowly rolled off from about 7kHz with a 6dB/octave filter. it would make the song a lot more comfortable......but if your ears are used to the brightness, any reduction from where you are currently, will likely seem too much. depends how truthful your monitoring is; assuming your hearing isn't impaired.

hope this helps Big Grin
i enjoyed listening, thanks for the opportunity

Dave
Beware...........Cognitive Dissonance!
[I've removed this response -- whatever you're views about each other, please try to keep the discussion clean so that educational institutions do block the site for their students. Mike S.]
Hmm, was intrigued by this thread, and all the comments, so thought I'd have a listen.

You were asking for critiques. You put down Mixinthecloud for giving a critique that indicated a lack of experience. Then you put down The_Metallurgist for giving a very in-depth critique, which demonstrated a heap of experience. After listening to your mix, I'm actually agreeing with The_Metallurgist on all the points that are withing my experience range: noise on the R channel...yes; too much mid-range on guitar delays & BV's...well maybe this would clear things up a little-certainly the lead vox isn't as clear as it could be; wide piano sound...yes, it does seem a bit wide in comparison to the other instruments; re fundamental of kick, well can't really comment on that, but it does sound like your bass is stronger at lower frequencies than the kick; and why not try implementing his mastering comments - you never know, it could work.

I know it's hard to receive detailed comments, The_Metallurgist gave me some hard words on one of my mixes recently, but when I went back and listened to my mix, he was actually right, and now I'm just that bit better as a mixer as a result.

On the whole, apart from that lack of clarity on lead vox (and snare) this is a pretty good mix. Personally, I don't like the creative panning on the lead guitar during the solo, but that's a preference thing.

Sounds like a great song to mix, will try my hand at it soon.
[I've removed this response -- whatever you're views about each other, please try to keep the discussion clean so that educational institutions do block the site for their students. Mike S.]