Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Rachel_mix by Tommy Marcinek
Confused Sad

This song is such a wonderful tribute to Anna's (the violinist in the group) sister-in-law, who apparently left this world way too young. It was an honor to "try" to do this song justice in my humble mix. Here's my version of what I heard in my own head before I even started this project. I wanted to make the song on the full side with just enough space and depth, but not too much. I hope I achieved that. Please don't let this song fool you: To do it justice, it requires a lot of work. God bless Rachael's family.

With love,

Tommy Marcinek

.mp3    Rachel_5_Mastered.mp3 --  (Download: 12.48 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
beautiful song and I'm sorry to learn that there's such a sad story behind it. I really like your mix, especially the bass (which has given me a lot of work).

For my taste, there's too much reverb, but that's something personal and I'm sure that not everybody here will agree with me. Thanks for sharing the mix to improve our skills Smile
mixing since April 2013
(01-02-2015, 07:25 PM)juanjose1967 Wrote: beautiful song and I'm sorry to learn that there's such a sad story behind it. I really like your mix, especially the bass (which has given me a lot of work).

For my taste, there's too much reverb, but that's something personal and I'm sure that not everybody here will agree with me. Thanks for sharing the mix to improve our skills Smile

------------------
juanjose1967, Thanks for the kind words about my mix. It's funny because I usually tend to make my mixes a little too dry. But, there was something about this song and its subject matter that made me want to have it feel ethereal. So, doubling on the instruments and a plate reverb at 2s seemed to give me what my mind was hearing.

As far as the bass is concerned: That bass track, as you correctly stated, needed the most work. First, it had these strange noises in the track (some kind of digital noises I think). So, I brought that into Izotope RXII and spent about an hour on just that one issue. Other issues included timing issues and some notes that were sharp and some that were flat so they had to be pitch-shifted. Other things include some resonance problems....hard to tame.

There were issues with the timing of the congas too. There were many places where the bass and congas were completely off with the rest of the players. The most consistent instrument was the Euke, which I then used as my anchor to adjust the off-timing bass and congas parts to match up timing wise, as best as I could without making it sound un-natural. I liked the raw nature of the players and what there were trying to do. I didn't want every hit of every instruments to be exactly on time, etc.

Anyway, I listened to your mix and I liked it a lot. Only one thing that I would suggest working on would be the vocal siblance. Believe me, I'm no expert - mixing is a constant learning experience. But the lead vocal track was the next most troublesome track in this project as far as siblance. Her voice was recorded nice and crisp but those "s's" and "sh's" were really cutting through my ear drums. In this case I used a combination of manual editing and de-essing plugins to tame those siblances down. Whew.

Hope my long-winded reply wasn't too long....peace.

Tommy
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek