Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Set Me Free mik123
Hi!

My mix!

Thanks for listening! Big Grin

.mp3    Set Me Free mik123.mp3 --  (Download: 10.91 MB)

Well, you certainly put your own sonic footprint on this one mik123! Smile
A few things on that I really like, in particular the dissonant passage starting around 1:06 before the keys solo and that is played again at the end. I like the wide horns and the toms/snare treatment which is quite radical but sounds cool. This whole passage is nicely balanced and full sounding and this is the place in your mix which is really working. I also like the sound of the rhythm guitars during the guitar solo. The lead sound is not bad but perhaps a little crowded by the rest of the tracks.
What I really hate though, sorry to say, is the treatment of the rhodes, the distortion on it is overbearing and simply sounds bad to me. I don't see why you treated as badly as this... The keys solo really doesn't make any sense with such a sound.
The vocal treatment I found pretty bad as well, the slapback is overdone, and the general sound of the vocal sounds like it was tracked in a bathroom. Ouch! The bgvs on the other hand are rather dry which I'm not sure is helping.
I don't know if you've used the midi to replace the bass part, but it sounds like a synth more than a bass, and lacks the punch and dynamic of the original. I'm not a big fan of it either.
The drums are not too bad, if different, I think they work. They sound possibly a little too compressed (cymbals in particular).
So overall, a few good things, but I cannot say I like it overall.
I respect your vision and the fact that you tried something else, so yes, it's different, but it's just not working IMHO.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(01-02-2015, 07:20 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Well, you certainly put your own sonic footprint on this one mik123! Smile
A few things on that I really like, in particular the dissonant passage starting around 1:06 before the keys solo and that is played again at the end. I like the wide horns and the toms/snare treatment which is quite radical but sounds cool. This whole passage is nicely balanced and full sounding and this is the place in your mix which is really working. I also like the sound of the rhythm guitars during the guitar solo. The lead sound is not bad but perhaps a little crowded by the rest of the tracks.
What I really hate though, sorry to say, is the treatment of the rhodes, the distortion on it is overbearing and simply sounds bad to me. I don't see why you treated as badly as this... The keys solo really doesn't make any sense with such a sound.
The vocal treatment I found pretty bad as well, the slapback is overdone, and the general sound of the vocal sounds like it was tracked in a bathroom. Ouch! The bgvs on the other hand are rather dry which I'm not sure is helping.
I don't know if you've used the midi to replace the bass part, but it sounds like a synth more than a bass, and lacks the punch and dynamic of the original. I'm not a big fan of it either.
The drums are not too bad, if different, I think they work. They sound possibly a little too compressed (cymbals in particular).
So overall, a few good things, but I cannot say I like it overall.
I respect your vision and the fact that you tried something else, so yes, it's different, but it's just not working IMHO.

Hi!

Thanks for yours comments!

I will try again with second version! Big Grin
Confused

My second......!

Thanks for listening! Big Grin

.mp3    Set Me Free mik123 ver 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.95 MB)

Rhodes sound much better, if a bit dry. I like the lead guitar as it is, rather dry but nicely forward and focused.
The vocal still sound very muffled though and has some kind of weird phasing going on. The bathroom quality is still there, I'm sorry to say. Wink
I would try to high-pass to around 120hz remove some of the mud between 300/500hz and try to find the sweet spot between 1 and 2k and boost that, also add some air to it, and possibly some parallel compression, verb/subtle delay.
So thanks for that second try, I still think there's some work to do though! Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here