Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Semantic Mix
Hi
this is my first upload here. I made the mix in about 6 hours and just finished it so it's not perfect.
I used Cubase and mostly the waves renaissance channel and variety of sound plug ins.
Because I'm not so good at mastering I also uploaded the original mix.

It would be great to get some feedback, especially from the original producer. (By the way I'm from Germany too)

Thanks to everyone

.mp3    SemanticMaster1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.41 MB)

.mp3    SemanticMix1.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Hey - nice balance, but the guitar/drums-groups are a bit overcompressed. You seem to have messed up something in the mastering compression settings, try a shorter release and attack.
But I really like the mix! You definitely got the feeling this song was meant to have.
Maybe try to have the vocals stick out a little more. They're pretty sharp and that's what I had to deal with as well. But try to lift up the high mids a bit to have the necessary crunch in his voice.
Pro tip: Have a parallel vocal track with a distortion effect (I like tape saturation for vocals, but any not too heavy distortion effect will do) with really high compression on it. If you're using waves you probably have the CLA-76 blacky in your library, that one works best for me.
Mix it to the vocals just so they stick out a little more in the mix without the distortion really being audible. It's called magic Big Grin

I love the end part, you got it really heavy there.
Keep it up!
Hey
thanks for your reply. I agree with you, I also think that I messed things up with the mastering compression. I will work on that.
Thanks for the tip on the vocals. I allready have a little bit of distortion on one of the backing vocal track, but I will work out that a bit more. Sadly I don't have the CLA-76, but the Variety Of Sound ThrillseekerLA should come close to it.
So thanks for your feedback
Alright, so I made a new mix and master.
As you recommended I added a parallel vocal-distortion track and added some high-mids.
In the mastering I left out the multiband-compressor, thought that this was to much.
Hope you like the new version better.

.mp3    SemanticMaster2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.41 MB)

Hey,
I still think it's a bit crushed. Are you using a limiter on the mastering bus? Every kick pushes down the guitar group a bit, that kinda destroys the groove.
Also try a slight de-esser on the vocals, they are a bit too sharp. But you definitely improved the sound of them!
Hello !

First mix : The low ends seem to be boomy. The bass lacks some definition here. I agree with the vocals : they're drowned, behind the instruments.
The overall EQ is a bit boxy. Maybe you can remove some dB at around 400 Hz..

Second mix : Still boomy/boxy for me, but there is definitively more definition in the mix. Vocals are much better. They sit nicely now. I find the "acoustic" guitar in the bridge a bit too much in front.