Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Punch Please!!
Nice meaty overall sound. Like the splashiness of the cymbals -- real sustain but smooth and well-controlled. Like th characterful slap on the lead vocals, but maybe it sounds a bit too big in the low mids -- it's compromising the hugeness of the band's sound a bit much for me.

Things go astray for me at 1:07, though -- those guitars are really papery there, and that seems a bit out of character, especially when normal service resumes at 1:32. It's possible it's just that I'm wedded too much to the 'raw' sound the band and I deliberately recorded things pretty much the way we wanted them to sound in the mix, so any re-evaluation of those sounds feels strange to me. However, I think there's more to it than that -- it just seems a bit of let-down to go that fizzy for the choruses like that from a long-term dynamics perspective.

In general I like what you've done with the effects a lot. It's got a much hi-fi vibe to it than my mix, which is a nice alternative. The guitars suffer a bit more than I'd like in mono, though. Interesting touch of bass ambience during the jazzier bit, but it does make the dryness of the guitar solo at 3:43 come as a bit of a shock -- that feels like it could blend a lot more.

The spacey bit has some nice stereo stuff going on, which is very much after the band's heart, so that's great. You also give it a bit more energy in general, and I quite like the way that works. It just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat! Thanks for posting that.

Messages In This Thread
More Punch Please!! - by 2barefeet - 03-02-2013, 04:52 PM
RE: More Punch Please!! - by Benbass1991 - 04-02-2013, 12:30 AM
RE: More Punch Please!! - by 2barefeet - 05-02-2013, 02:06 PM
RE: More Punch Please!! - by Benbass1991 - 05-02-2013, 03:15 PM
RE: More Punch Please!! - by Mike Senior - 18-02-2013, 10:43 PM
RE: More Punch Please!! - by 2barefeet - 26-02-2013, 12:36 PM