Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
More Punch Please!!
Hi, Just joined the site, so happy to find this resource.

Here's my mix:
My approach was maximum perceived punch while sustaining some dynamic integrity. Smile

This was mixed in the box through cans, no external sound card even.
Please let me know how it translates on your monitoring setup.

Feedback welcome Smile

.mp3    Dune Rider Master(mix1)mp3(2barefeet).mp3 --  (Download: 15.91 MB)

Your drum sounds are really big and punchy; very much in line with your description haha. the balance is nice, and i like the vocal treatment. The one area i feel could be changed would be the chorus electric guitars. I think pulling back on the eq would help them fit into the texture better.
(04-02-2013, 12:30 AM)Benbass1991 Wrote: Your drum sounds are really big and punchy; very much in line with your description haha. the balance is nice, and i like the vocal treatment. The one area i feel could be changed would be the chorus electric guitars. I think pulling back on the eq would help them fit into the texture better.

Thanks very much for the response... Good to hear it translated okay on your monitoring setup? Can I ask what it is?
So too much of the mid range on those chorus guitars... I guess I was really going for the cut.
(05-02-2013, 02:06 PM)2barefeet Wrote:
(04-02-2013, 12:30 AM)Benbass1991 Wrote: Your drum sounds are really big and punchy; very much in line with your description haha. the balance is nice, and i like the vocal treatment. The one area i feel could be changed would be the chorus electric guitars. I think pulling back on the eq would help them fit into the texture better.

Thanks very much for the response... Good to hear it translated okay on your monitoring setup? Can I ask what it is?
So too much of the mid range on those chorus guitars... I guess I was really going for the cut.

yeah im monitoring on MAUDIO DSM2's with flat eq in a semi treated room.
Nice meaty overall sound. Like the splashiness of the cymbals -- real sustain but smooth and well-controlled. Like th characterful slap on the lead vocals, but maybe it sounds a bit too big in the low mids -- it's compromising the hugeness of the band's sound a bit much for me.

Things go astray for me at 1:07, though -- those guitars are really papery there, and that seems a bit out of character, especially when normal service resumes at 1:32. It's possible it's just that I'm wedded too much to the 'raw' sound the band and I deliberately recorded things pretty much the way we wanted them to sound in the mix, so any re-evaluation of those sounds feels strange to me. However, I think there's more to it than that -- it just seems a bit of let-down to go that fizzy for the choruses like that from a long-term dynamics perspective.

In general I like what you've done with the effects a lot. It's got a much hi-fi vibe to it than my mix, which is a nice alternative. The guitars suffer a bit more than I'd like in mono, though. Interesting touch of bass ambience during the jazzier bit, but it does make the dryness of the guitar solo at 3:43 come as a bit of a shock -- that feels like it could blend a lot more.

The spacey bit has some nice stereo stuff going on, which is very much after the band's heart, so that's great. You also give it a bit more energy in general, and I quite like the way that works. It just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat! Thanks for posting that.
(18-02-2013, 10:43 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Nice meaty overall sound. Like the splashiness of the cymbals -- real sustain but smooth and well-controlled. Like th characterful slap on the lead vocals, but maybe it sounds a bit too big in the low mids -- it's compromising the hugeness of the band's sound a bit much for me.

Things go astray for me at 1:07, though -- those guitars are really papery there, and that seems a bit out of character, especially when normal service resumes at 1:32. It's possible it's just that I'm wedded too much to the 'raw' sound the band and I deliberately recorded things pretty much the way we wanted them to sound in the mix, so any re-evaluation of those sounds feels strange to me. However, I think there's more to it than that -- it just seems a bit of let-down to go that fizzy for the choruses like that from a long-term dynamics perspective.

In general I like what you've done with the effects a lot. It's got a much hi-fi vibe to it than my mix, which is a nice alternative. The guitars suffer a bit more than I'd like in mono, though. Interesting touch of bass ambience during the jazzier bit, but it does make the dryness of the guitar solo at 3:43 come as a bit of a shock -- that feels like it could blend a lot more.

The spacey bit has some nice stereo stuff going on, which is very much after the band's heart, so that's great. You also give it a bit more energy in general, and I quite like the way that works. It just goes to show there are many ways to skin a cat! Thanks for posting that.

Thanks for taking the time to reply Mike, I must turn on email notifications for people replying to my threads cause It's only now that I've seen your post Big Grin

I've had a listen to some other mixes of these again and I really like what you did with the chorus in yours, the delays were used very creatively I think, it added to the persona of the vocalist. I think sonically yours has got the more analogy natural vibe to each which just like you said there's many ways ''to skin a cat'' Big Grin

regarding those guitars in my mix, I really wanted it to cut into you and biting, I'll have to work on the EQ a bit more to get that effect I think. It was mixed through cans so I don't really know how it translates.

thanks again for the mostly positive feedback. I'm working on ''Ç U next time'' at the moment, hope to post soon.

PS. The site is an amazing resource and thank you deeply for taking the time to put this in place. Cheers