Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much
Here are the main things I did:

I repaired the flubs around 0:06 of 10_Trumpet1, but there’s still spill on other tracks that I could not fix. I also repaired the cracked note at 2:04 in the trombone solo. I tuned the bass track.

On 07_Saxophone1 I multed the fill at 0:51. I also multed the solo from 12_Trombone and the unison parts at 3:04 from Saxophone1, VocalOverdub and Trumpet1. I used a high-pass filter on all tracks.

I panned the tracks the way many big bands setup live; the rhythm section on the left, soloists front & center and the brass/saxes spread from slight left to far right. I didn’t feel this panning meshed well with the room tracks so I muted them. I re-read Mike Senior’s articles on reverb in the July and August 2008 SOS. I used more long-reverb on the saxes to position them in front of the brass. If there had been more mics on the trombones I would have tried for three-tiers rather than two.

I automated volume on the bass raising it on the notes that always seemed to drop off. I think they were A1 and G#1. I automated volume on the sax section. I dropped the volume when the saxes weren’t playing and made a few other volume changes.

.mp3    MuchTooMuch.mp3 --  (Download: 6.05 MB)