Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Brew 'What I Want'
Distortion on lead vocals as an effect.

Drawbacks:
Mixed with audacity
Kick drum is too loud.
Overall sound is too harsh at the moment, might be cause I mixed on speakers that aren't too bright sounding.
Ride cymbal sounds too loud cause overhead microphones maybe were too close to it.
In one place keyboards disappear when listening in mono mode and guitar gets quieter due to phase reverse usage.
Stereo image might be to wide.
Guitar has a bit too long time delay.

Any criticism appreciated.

Added another one after update.

.mp3    BrewRemix.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

.mp3    BrewRemixTelefunken1.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

Kick drum is still a bit loud, but good sound though. The overall mix has a big bite to it. Did you boost the high end on the multi pressor in the master bus? If so, dial it back. Kind of hard on the ears. Thanks for sharing.
Turns out I haven't uploaded real version with more low end on kick drum.
Thanks for the input. I think it's due to drummer and mic placement, might consider punting some reverb on the overheads, this material was tough to mix due to wide dynamic range on the high end.

.mp3    BrewRemixTelefunken2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.13 MB)

Some really interesting ideas here. I really like the roundness of the kick drum in your mix. I imagine there is a lot of processing on it to get it where it is. For me it works well with the bass guitar. At times the compression is too heavy but again some good mix ideas and effects. Could use some cleanup on the fade, which took me a lot of effort to write well.
PreSonus Studio One DAW
[email protected]
That was best I could with Audacity at that time, this mix needs some some re-mixing. with another daw. Bass should be more detailed, kick a bit less heavy, too much harshiness and dryness on overall mix.
The only thing my ears are missing in this, is a heavily distorted parallel buss on the guitars, i think. There's a power that I feel like I'm missing with this type of mix; or at least what I imagine your general direction of where you are headed with it. I think it'll bring the image of the vox a little more into a blend with the music a bit. I like what you've done, but it just feels like to really justify the tone of the vox, there needs to be some kind of tie into to the music itself.

And I agree with Mixinthecloud, the compression (at least on the kick is where I really noticed it) is a bit heavy handed at times.

I like your direction, it's a really cool feel.

Draper

Also, do you have Reaper? It's free to try, cheap to buy, and a really small file. I love it, and I've used quite a few DAW's.