Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 2 Average
Dark horses mix
Hi guy,this is my mix of this great song.Please give me your feedback so I can improve my skils.

.mp3    DARK HORSES MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 11.26 MB)

Balance is good. Snare sound is good but does not work with the rest of instrument, the delay on main vocal on left is a bit distracting, I do not like the kick drum sound ( it could have more low end and beater sound, and you could remove that garbage on it around 500 Hz), your overheads could be wider. Guitar solo sounded larger than life, acoustic guitars are perfect and backing vocals sit good in the mix. But rethink your drums so they can work with the rest of the band.
Changed the drum balance,boosted the bass guitar a little bit.Thanks for your feedback.

.mp3    DARK HORSES MASTER.mp3 --  (Download: 11.26 MB)

Your second mix is 1000 times better. I love your bass tone in 2, the drums sit much nicer (and I agree the drums sound a little thin in the stereo field, not in tone, but I remember thinking how "monoed" the overheads sounded when I was mixing). Excellent touch ups! Especially fixing the delay so it's not so prominent.

Draper
Thanks man.I really apreciate your comment.
your second mix is the best here around.

good work.

AIR.
CLEANESS
BALANCE.

really nice!
(01-03-2015, 10:39 PM)c3kkos Wrote: your second mix is the best here around.

good work.

AIR.
CLEANESS
BALANCE.

really nice!

Thanks man.
My thoughts here...

I think you need a little less low end on the kick drum and then turn it up a bit more (I need to hear it more--the 8kHz area--and feel it less.)

On the bass guitar... I think less sustain. Possibly a bit more of the attack. Should be able to fix that with a slight bit of long-attack compression (not heavy. just like 2:1) followed by a slight boost in the right part of the mid range. Right now, it kinda overpowers the rest of the mix, esp when combined with the kick drum. (I remember a couple of points in this tune when I was working on my mix of it where everything managed to just hit all together and totally synched up right on the downbeat and it kinda blows you out of your chair until you make some adjustments. Good times.)

Generally, though, I do like what you've done here. It works quite well. Nice job!
Old West Audio