Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Burning Bridges MIX
Here's my mix of Burning Bridges.
It's my first mix post in this forum. Comments? What i could have done otherwise?

edit. There's version 2 of this song later in this thread, which one do You prefer?

.mp3    Dark Ride - Burning Bridges (Arskalam_MIX).mp3 --  (Download: 8.69 MB)

Sounds great! I really like how the instruments glue together. The balance between the instruments and the distorted vocals work awesome! I'd lower the other ones a tad though.
Just my opinion, the bass is a bit overly present for this genre. I think about 3-5 db drop would bring the guitars up, or shave a bit of the low end out of it and it would probably have the same result.

Guitar Leads are a bit on the quiet side (very slightly) so your losing the nuances they're bringing to the melodies.

Otherwise, damned fine work.
(27-01-2015, 05:10 AM)NeonBlack828 Wrote: Just my opinion, the bass is a bit overly present for this genre. I think about 3-5 db drop would bring the guitars up, or shave a bit of the low end out of it and it would probably have the same result.

Guitar Leads are a bit on the quiet side (very slightly) so your losing the nuances they're bringing to the melodies.

Otherwise, damned fine work.

Thanks for comments!

Actually you're right that bass is overly present and I will cut few db's out of it, I also noticed the same thing. I will also tweak those leads a bit and we'll see how it sounds after that.
Okay, here's tweaked version with a bit smaller bass and louder lead guitars. Which one do you prefer?

.mp3    Dark Ride - Burning Bridges (Arskalam_2).mp3 --  (Download: 8.53 MB)

Personally, I dig the second one a bit more. The bass is controlled more. It is clear and distinct on all instruments. Well done.
I don't hear any cymbals, just a very annoying hihat Smile
(27-01-2015, 11:44 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I don't hear any cymbals, just a very annoying hihat Smile

That's actually true that cymbals are quite low and I should fix that. Is there anything else that is good or not so good in your opinion since you know all about mixing this song.
I like it but you should remove the reverb from the kick =) if you want to give the drums more space it's probably enough to send the snare to a plate and bring it up a little - but not too much, Burning Bridges is not a ballad. Personally I would leave the whole kit completely dry and only use the reverb track that came with the other tracks. the rhythm guitars should come up a bit, and you might check the fizzy hihat. I haven't had the opportunity to check you mix it with some pro mixes at the same volume so the only things that came to my mind are:

- fizzy hihat
- cymbals too low
- rhythm guitars too low
- a little too much reverb

edit: And I´m just a normal guy and I really can't make any in depth mix analysis like some guys here in this wonderful forum. so please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I just write down what my ears are telling me - nothing more, nothing less.
(28-01-2015, 11:13 PM)Blitzzz Wrote: I like it but you should remove the reverb from the kick =) if you want to give the drums more space it's probably enough to send the snare to a plate and bring it up a little - but not too much, Burning Bridges is not a ballad. Personally I would leave the whole kit completely dry and only use the reverb track that came with the other tracks. the rhythm guitars should come up a bit, and you might check the fizzy hihat. I haven't had the opportunity to check you mix it with some pro mixes at the same volume so the only things that came to my mind are:

- fizzy hihat
- cymbals too low
- rhythm guitars too low
- a little too much reverb

edit: And I´m just a normal guy and I really can't make any in depth mix analysis like some guys here in this wonderful forum. so please take everything I say with a grain of salt. I just write down what my ears are telling me - nothing more, nothing less.

Thanks for your opinions!

- There is no separate reverb in kick. Snare is sent to a short plate and theres a tiny amount of send to the rvb channel from the drum bus also.
- Hi-hat is fizzy that is true and i also fixed that problem already. I also boosted cymbals a bit.
- There's a small reverb in a master to open the mix a bit and i may have put the mix a bit too high in that so i took some reverb off from the whole mix

I had great time mixing this and again, thanks for your comments! Great song.