Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Bill Chudziak - Children of No-One
Hello! I am Sasha. Sorry for my english. I'm from Russia. I am here for the first time and I would like to invite you to listen to my mix of the composition. This is the second project from this site. The first has not turned out well. I will be grateful to you for your criticism and advice.

.mp3    Bill Chudziak - Children of No-One.mp3 --  (Download: 8.55 MB)

Hi Sasha, I'm originally from Lv, what type of monitors do you use?

I like the concept and clear sounding main electric guitar. I used different approach by making wurlitizer and hammond a bit more prominent in the mix so it sounds a bit more like from 80's.

And I liked the ringing sound of snare with reverb, only thing is whole mix sounds a bit harsh especially on 3807 Hz (human ears are quite sensitive in this frequency range). On the other hand it can stay the same, to avoid any possibility making it worse.

Thanks and sorry for criticism. Any criticism from you appreciated.
Hello Sysrq. Thanks for your comment.

Monitors is just bookshelf speakers Microlab Solo-2. Vented box. In general this speakers quite good. Although you can make a mistake in the low bass using them. You wrote in your thread that the vocal turned like in a bathroom. If you look at the project again, you will see there are 2 files with vocals: leadvoc and leadvocDT. I used only one. Because when the two are used at once it turns out, this effect.

Is it possible to mix again with one vocal track off?
(23-01-2015, 01:53 PM)Sasha_Khanygin Wrote: Hello Sysrq. Thanks for your comment.

Monitors is just bookshelf speakers Microlab Solo-2. Vented box. In general this speakers quite good. Although you can make a mistake in the low bass using them. You wrote in your thread that the vocal turned like in a bathroom. If you look at the project again, you will see there are 2 files with vocals: leadvoc and leadvocDT. I used only one. Because when the two are used at once it turns out, this effect.

Is it possible to mix again with one vocal track off?

Bathroom effect is due to high frequency content in reverb, I actually like the slightly metallic sound in a busy mix like this, it helps vocals to stand out a bit. I used two of them so I can pan them 70% on each side, I think it benefits this type of song. It's rather trivial to use Audacity for mixing purposes but at least it has fairly good built in spectrum analyser, which is the main tool in mixing to look for overlapping frequencies.

Microlab Solo-2 would be absolute minimum for hobby amateur recording/mixing purposes. With good sealed enclosure subwoofer it would be easier to control the low end, only thing is it must be properly tuned with spectrum analyser like PAA3 which has properly calibrated measurement mic or use some room calibration software, but again everthing will depend on good measurment microphone, another thing is checking low frequency content with DAW spectrum analyser to make sure it doesn't exceed normal levels, otherwise it will eat away your headroom.