Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Milk Cow Blues
I thought this one would be easy only 11 tracks and was wrong but a Good challenge for my limited skills !
Not sure if I'm on the right track any comments welcome.
I Don't have any high quality reference material for this genre if anyone has any ideas would be great Big Grin !
Version 2 De-essed the vocals and brought down the brushes a touch !

.mp3    Milk Cow Blues V1.mp3 --  (Download: 8.03 MB)

.mp3    Milk Cow Blues V2.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

(13-01-2015, 09:11 AM)thedon Wrote: I thought this one would be easy only 11 tracks and was wrong but a Good challenge for my limited skills !
I Don't have any high quality reference material for this genre if anyone has any ideas would be great Big Grin !
I wouldn't consider your skills "limited". I enjoy the listening, the balance, the space spread.

If I really really have to suggest something, I'd instinctively eq notch a tad the voice sibilants or use a very little bit of de-esser on vox.
And maybe 1dB less on the drum brush.

But again very well done ix! I love it better in some parts (bass and fiddle) than my own mix ;-)
cheers
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
Hey thedon,

Liked the mix a lot! I agree that the vocals siblance is too high but the overall balance is nice. Great job! You commented on how you thought just a few tracks might be kinda easy but that it was more of a challenge than you thought. Well, I found one more challenging than this song......you should definitely mix it. Here's the link to my version:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=7853

Download the tracks for "Lament" and you'll see what I mean....makes this song feel like a walk in the park. :-)

Later.........

Tom
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
(13-01-2015, 07:28 PM)Lammy Wrote:
(13-01-2015, 09:11 AM)thedon Wrote: I thought this one would be easy only 11 tracks and was wrong but a Good challenge for my limited skills !
I wouldn't consider your skills "limited". I enjoy the listening, the balance, the space spread.

If I really really have to suggest something, I'd instinctively eq notch a tad the voice sibilants or use a very little bit of de-esser on vox.
And maybe 1dB less on the drum brush.

But again very well done ix! I love it better in some parts (bass and fiddle) than my own mix ;-)
cheers

Thanks For the Feedback Big Grin !
(13-01-2015, 09:21 PM)tjmtruth Wrote: Hey thedon,

Liked the mix a lot! I agree that the vocals siblance is too high but the overall balance is nice. Great job! You commented on how you thought just a few tracks might be kinda easy but that it was more of a challenge than you thought. Well, I found one more challenging than this song......you should definitely mix it. Here's the link to my version:

http://discussion.cambridge-mt.com/showt...p?tid=7853

Download the tracks for "Lament" and you'll see what I mean....makes this song feel like a walk in the park. :-)

Later.........

Tom

Thanks for the feedback Tom, I will listen to your mix of Lament and might have a try Big Grin !
Uploaded Version 2
De-essed the vocals and lowered the brushes a touch Big Grin
(14-01-2015, 10:12 AM)thedon Wrote: Uploaded Version 2
Version 2:
Thumb up. Well done. Reference mix. 5 stars. Big Grin
"... I'm listening. Yes."
from Switzerland
(15-01-2015, 12:31 AM)Lammy Wrote:
(14-01-2015, 10:12 AM)thedon Wrote: Uploaded Version 2
Version 2:
Thumb up. Well done. Reference mix. 5 stars. Big Grin

Thanks Lammy Big Grin .
I thought the tracks were amazing. but Im an old recording engineer and been at it 50years. so I am easily impressed by todays technology. The players were all great. I would have liked the singer to blast the song like she meant it. way too low profile. one has to imagine the disaster of a very poor person losing her milk cow. That imagination may be hard to come by? The is nothing in those tracks I can't be fixed, either in GB or Logic. Or if your one of those pro tools folks.
they all work and are amazing. I started life with a team 4 tracker that still works and still has recordings which I have not been able to beat.
(11-02-2015, 05:01 PM)arkansas_traveler Wrote: I thought the tracks were amazing. but Im an old recording engineer and been at it 50years. so I am easily impressed by todays technology. The players were all great. I would have liked the singer to blast the song like she meant it. way too low profile. one has to imagine the disaster of a very poor person losing her milk cow. That imagination may be hard to come by? The is nothing in those tracks I can't be fixed, either in GB or Logic. Or if your one of those pro tools folks.
they all work and are amazing. I started life with a team 4 tracker that still works and still has recordings which I have not been able to beat.

Thank you Sir ,you have been a recording engineer a couple of years more than I have been alive Blush,
I agree with you, I also love The sound of analog 4 track recordings .
Thank you Big Grin .