Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Test mix for South of the Water
Hello, this is my first time posting here. I mixed the song in Logic using Waves and other plugins. Let me know your opinions. Thanks!

.mp3    south of the water ( test mix ).mp3 --  (Download: 6.65 MB)

Hi,

I think the sonics in your mix are good, but the balance is a bit strange. The vocals are way too upfront, which sounds very strange once the band enters.

I also would try to reduce the sibiliants on the lead vocals. I know this is not easy on this song (I find myself repeating this point on every mix I commented on, so it must be the files) but it is somehting you can work on.
I like the equalizations but this mix haven't the "pop punk impact"....
The rhythm section feels to far back compared with the lead vocals during the verses. Yes, it's important that she's upfront, but the band also needs to have power -- it's the essential balancing difficulty with any vocal-led pop/rock track, and it's always a pain in the neck to decide on a good trade-off!

Overall the mix tonality feels quite muffled. This is partly just an EQ thing -- a bit of 250Hz cut and a broad shelf boost above 2kHz helps quite a bit. However, the bass feels like it needs to fill out the low end more, while the guitars, vocals, and effects need to be more economical and efficient in their use of the low midrange. A more assertive use of high-pass filtering may also help.

All that said, the general impression in the final chorus is pretty good, and holds up well on the Avantone, so you're already heading in the right kind of direction. Just remember to do a bit more referencing, and I reckon you'll spot some of these things for yourself and jump forward in quality no end.
Thanks for the feedback guys.

I definitely need to reference my mixes more.

I think a lot of automation should help the track a lot.