Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Holiday Mix
Hi,

Really love this song!

Used only the SSL Channel Plugin on vocals and the guitar. Then a bit of reverb.

I was unable to get rid of the "telephone-y" sounding vocals in the first verse. Any suggestions? Also do you think the acoustic guitar is too boomey? Smile

Eoghan

.mp3    Practice Mix - Francis Dunnery and Dorie Jackson.mp3 --  (Download: 3.86 MB)

Heey Eoghan,

I also finished this mix a few minutes ago, I'll post it in a few minutes. Anyway, I had the same problems with those "telephone-y" sounding vocals. I think there is a way to get rid of it, but I'm not skilled enough to find that specific frequency. Sounds good anyway! And as for the guitar: not too boomey at all, to my ears (:

Greetings
The vocal sounds are nice here, with a great breathy texture and not too much proximity mud or sibilance. I think you've balanced the vocals against each other sensitively too. All good. Whatever telephoniness (?) there was seems to have been dealt with fine for me.

But the guitar lets the side down a bit for me, and mostly on account of its transients, which are pretty brutal. I'd get busy with some dedicated transient processing to try to tame this. If that doesn't work, you could try the same in multiband mode. However, I'm guessing you might have to automate the threshold of a multi-band compressor's HF band to really do the trick. A bit more 700Hz probably wouldn't hurt the guitar sound either, I reckon, if that's possible without upsetting your vocal sounds too much. If it does, then you might need to try complementary boost/cut settings on the vocal and guitar mics with a linear-phase EQ.
Hi,

sounds a kind of dirty and brightless. Maybe because of the sample rate and bit deph.

but i enjoyed the 3d image.
(27-01-2013, 06:24 PM)EoghanTyrrell Wrote: Hi,

Really love this song!

Used only the SSL Channel Plugin on vocals and the guitar. Then a bit of reverb.

I was unable to get rid of the "telephone-y" sounding vocals in the first verse. Any suggestions? Also do you think the acoustic guitar is too boomey? Smile

Eoghan

the telephone-y sounding comes when you record one source of sound with 2 or 3 different mic
when we record and mix songs in death or heavy or nu metal genre,the play guitars 2 time and some times we need to duplicate them to have 4 line of guitars
so we push those 2 lines a few millisecond forward

i think you can get rid of this telephony sound with these technique
just hold the guitar line and pull one of those vocals a little bit forward and the female a little bit backward