Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Wesley Morgan 'Flesh and Bone' EL mix
This recording is quite straightforward with very little bleed. The Bass tracks don't need much more than time alignment, and a touch of compression.

The main problem in the arrangement is the accordion which is very 'strident'. I have used some compression, EQ and ambience, but there may be other ways to approach it.

Hope you like it...

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Flesh and Bone - ELmix.mp3 --  (Download: 12.48 MB)

I played my mix to Di, who plays accordion and even she thought the accordion was 'piercing', so now that has gone back a bit further. Also I was not so happy with the vocal on my first version. I liked the sound with the bigger bass that Luc went with and I've added more sustain and bottom to my bass too.

These changes necessitated some rebalancing, so the vocal has gone over to the left a little.

.mp3    Wesley Morgan - Flesh and Bone - ELmix-002.mp3 --  (Download: 12.48 MB)

There's a lovely enveloping sense of warmth here which really appeals to me. There's also an effortless blend to what you've created here, despite the impression that the lead vocal is right in your ear. The balance seems very appropriate too, although I do hanker for a bit more expanse from the squeeze-box at 0:55. It feels very point-source, and although it's quite ear-catching like that, I wonder whether it would be more supportive of the overall vibe to give it a bit more width, slightly less 3kHz, and a bit more lower midrange.

The slide parts start getting a bit overbearing from about 1:54, though, and I think I'd try to sneak in a bit more 800Hz into the lead vocal there, because the whispered delivery seems not to have quite enough substance to carry past them in the balance. There's a quite a lot that automation might be able to do about this, though, even without any EQ, and if you did choose to follow my EQ suggestion, then that might also benefit from being automated too. A very rewarding listen, though, and really frames the musicianship on these multitracks in a sensitive way. Thanks for posting!

(Thanks also for you continuing efforts in providing other Discussion Zone users with feedback -- whether they've already said it or not, you're doing a great job in helping us all build a really educational resource!)
I'm really glad you found the time to give me feedback on this one, it's very likey I will do a third mix. I had noticed that the pedal steel was getting right over the vocals.

This mix is a classic one for an entry point to mixing I think. It's only a few tracks and handling the accordion makes for a good EQ lesson.

(18-02-2013, 10:55 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: (Thanks also for you continuing efforts in providing other Discussion Zone users with feedback -- whether they've already said it or not, you're doing a great job in helping us all build a really educational resource!)

Not a problem Mike, although there's no chance of me keeping up with the amount of new posts that are coming in!! The site is attracting some great people and mixes.

Hamish
(19-02-2013, 10:54 AM)electricladyLAN Wrote: This mix is a classic one for an entry point to mixing I think. It's only a few tracks and handling the accordion makes for a good EQ lesson.

You're right there, actually. It hadn't struck me, but now that you've pointed it out I must keep it in mind in case I need to do any entry-level mix demonstrations.

(18-02-2013, 10:55 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Not a problem Mike, although there's no chance of me keeping up with the amount of new posts that are coming in!

You're telling me... Rolleyes

Hello There,

As the artist on this track, there are a few small corrections I wish that I could have made if there was time. There are a few dry mouth sounds that I would duck out (0:28-0:32) and a couple of tuning spots (i.e. only in "body is only made" 0:43)

That said, it is a good idea to listen to the track that Oz Fritz mixed. For one, the accordion doesn't come in until later 1:40. The part gets better then and it also helps build the overall arrangement. Second, the way he balances the instruments is very instructional.

I would also suggest bringing out pedal steel and accordion parts in certain spots to help give the arrangement more "oomph". I.e. 4:28 and 4:45 are beautiful accordion parts.

I also notice you dropped the accordion around the 2:50 mark. Any reasons why? Was it to give it more oomph for the final verse. Cool idea. How do you think it works compared to the original mix?
Also, it sounded like you didn't use as much of the acoustic or unamped version of the guitar sound. That is my favorite part of the guitar sound, speaking as the artist. I love all the creaks and moans the wood makes.

(27-02-2013, 09:48 PM)WesleyMorgan Wrote: Hello There,

As the artist on this track, there are a few small corrections I wish that I could have made if there was time. There are a few dry mouth sounds that I would duck out (0:28-0:32) and a couple of tuning spots (i.e. only in "body is only made" 0:43)

That said, it is a good idea to listen to the track that Oz Fritz mixed. For one, the accordion doesn't come in until later 1:40. The part gets better then and it also helps build the overall arrangement. Second, the way he balances the instruments is very instructional.

I would also suggest bringing out pedal steel and accordion parts in certain spots to help give the arrangement more "oomph". I.e. 4:28 and 4:45 are beautiful accordion parts.

I also notice you dropped the accordion around the 2:50 mark. Any reasons why? Was it to give it more oomph for the final verse. Cool idea. How do you think it works compared to the original mix?