Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
redwood14 mix
Hey guys, here's my mix of the song "Who I Am". Really dig this song! Would love to hear what you guys think.

.mp3    Who I Am mp3.mp3 --  (Download: 3.51 MB)

Hi redwood14,

welcome to the growing club of the "Who I Am" admirers.

My impression is that your overall balance is quite organic, but you overemphasize the highs considerably. I would dampen them at least 9 dB at 4 kHz to tame the crash cymbal on my monitors. It also seems to me that you pan quite narrowly, with the exception of said crash cymbal. Hitting the mono button has only minimal impact, according to my monitors. Did you mix this on headphones?

From looking at the waveform I thought your mix must sound heavily overcompressed, but it doesn't, at least not as overcompressed as I expected. I wonder how you did that...

All in all I think your mix deserves another, more in-depth listen :-) Thanks for sharing it!

Marc
Hey marc! I would probably agree it's a little too bright. I was sort of thinking of that new nashville thing, where its bright and punchy and pretty compressed etc... Felt like thats what they were going for in the studio, given the sound of the drums and that everything was printed with a fair bit of compression. Which I also think may be the reason you thought it didn't sound that compressed despite the waveform looking squashed... I feel like if everything is tracked with a decent amount of compression it makes it easier to get it louder and sounding more natural.

All in all though I probably got a little carried away on the master buss on this one, after taking a glance at the session just now.

Cheers!
(25-01-2013, 11:59 PM)redwood14 Wrote: Hey guys, here's my mix of the song "Who I Am". Really dig this song! Would love to hear what you guys think.

Not bad. Overall balance is great, though I think a little more bass oomph might be a good idea. Another mix I heard employed a little subtle distortion on a mult of the bass track; you might try that to make it a little fuller. Smile

Stereo image is a little constrained; might want to pan everything a little wider.

Finally, vocals are a little sharp for my taste. EQ settings sound good; they just need to be dialed back a few dB. These tracks were originally Telefunken mic demos so they really don't need a whole heck of a lot of EQ to sound great IMHO. Wink

Overall, though, one of the stronger mixes I've heard of this song today.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince