Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
A Reason To Leave - HB Mix
Lots of fun on this one...wasn't sure i was going to get there....and then it all came together at once.

.mp3    A Reason To Leave_HB Mix_01a.mp3 --  (Download: 10.08 MB)

Feels good Hb! I like the vocal treatment and the whole things grooves nicely. I think the push you gave to the bass was pretty effective in that regard.
A few things that I would think could be better adjusted:
The second guitar on the right is slightly too loud.
The bgvs during the second chorus could get a little push in levels.
The bass during the drop could be automated to be less present.
Apart from these nitpicks, it's a great mix, I like it! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Hey Pat. Thanks for listening and your feedback. I'm glad you enjoyed it. I'm amazed that so much of your song structure is midi and samples. It sounds great and I find it really responsive to my mixing techniques.

I had to laugh when I read your comments about guitar on rhs. I agonized over the panning and level for that. Trying to find a balance where you hear it and it's relevant but not dominant but not too quiet it's irrelevant. I even changed my mind once I'd posted the mix online, hence the 1a version. I'm away from my studio for a week having a break so can't recheck it but it's probably only a matter of a dB or so.

Same thing for BGVs - always a challenge to have them sitting just right.

Hadn't even considered the bass level in the drop! That's a great idea and I've been guilty before of not automating levels in these moments in other recent mixes... I used to.... I guess my attention has been focused elsewhere .... So it's great to take away a lesson from every mix... Hopefully I'll remember next time.

Cheers
I know what you mean about those levels and how to find the balance between relevant and dominant. Smile
And glad you find that the midi is sounding good! I never quantize and spend a huge amount of time tweaking manually drums and bass in particular until everything sounds "real" and organic to me...
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I reckon it's working... I'm no drummer but the drums sound really good to me... Always lots of interest and detail