Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Teodor Slavov's mix
Mixed and mastering with Reaper and free plugins only Smile
Let me know what you're thinkin' Smile
I feel that in general there is a marked contrast in the bass and treble. sound very annoying ..
The drums here feel like they've been over-processed to me, in that the snare is very slender and lacking in sustain (has it been gated?) and the cymbals and hi-hat are also extremely thin-sounding. There's also a sense I get that the hi-hat sound is rather phasey, as if there's some nasty interaction going on between the hat mic and the overheads. My suggestion would be to try go rebuild the drums balance without nearly as much in the way of EQ. This is a virtual instrument performance, after all, so the sounds should be reasonable straight out of the box. Be very careful about EQing the overheads, too, because that's where I think the phasiness might be creeping in.

The guitars feel rather soft and spongey, as if all the 1kHz has been scooped out, so I'd probably reassess any EQ decisions there too. Your solo guitar sound is much more appealing, though. The organ sound could probably have a bit more attitude too -- I'd probably give it a bit of distortion on a parallel channel. A bit more 1kHz and less 8kHz on the vocal might help it feel a bit more solid, especially if you beef up the rhythm guitars.