Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
NEW MIX - Semantics Mandubien's take
Hi there !

Happy New Year to everyone !

So I spent quite some time to mix this nice song. It was quite difficult to mix because of the quality of the recording.
I didn't do any edition (most of drums were already cleared, especially toms).
I found the recording of the drums was pretty bad. So I totally changed the sound of the kick and the snare drum. Overheads are very not loud compared to what I use to do.

Anyway, tell me what you think for this first mix of 2015 !

Cheers !
Florian

.m4a    Semantics master 1.m4a --  (Download: 9.89 MB)

The balance is good.

The drums sounds and all the instruments individually sounds good.

The thing that feels weird for me is that the guitars sound too distant and wet, that big hall ambience doesnt make the guitars sound big i believe they beg for a more dry iin your face sound.
Please comment on others mixes, this site is all about feedback.
(01-01-2015, 06:31 PM)jeremias666 Wrote: The balance is good.

The drums sounds and all the instruments individually sounds good.

The thing that feels weird for me is that the guitars sound too distant and wet, that big hall ambience doesnt make the guitars sound big i believe they beg for a more dry iin your face sound.

That's finally also what I feel when I listen again. I need to fix this. I will repost a new mix tonight.

Thanks a lot for your feedback.
Here's my second mix.
Hope the reverb and delays are now fixed.
I also changed some automation for some volumes and reverb/delays sends.

What do you think ?

.m4a    Semantics master 2.m4a --  (Download: 9.89 MB)

Hi!
Official Producer of this song here (no professional or else the drum tracks would have a better quality. Sorry about that!)
Try to bring the main rhythm guitars even a little more to the front. They might sound a bit too harsh (which is good when they are more in the background but they could be a little heavier and less sharp if you get them to the front). They have to sound like a wall of sound. The secondary guitars (the high melody in the refrains) is supposed to be just a little background addition but its way too loud, I think.
Drums, bass and vocals are sounding great! I think you almost got it.
I actually like your vocal mixing more than mine!
(10-01-2015, 03:35 AM)wurstdrummer Wrote: Hi!
Official Producer of this song here (no professional or else the drum tracks would have a better quality. Sorry about that!)
Try to bring the main rhythm guitars even a little more to the front. They might sound a bit too harsh (which is good when they are more in the background but they could be a little heavier and less sharp if you get them to the front). They have to sound like a wall of sound. The secondary guitars (the high melody in the refrains) is supposed to be just a little background addition but its way too loud, I think.
Drums, bass and vocals are sounding great! I think you almost got it.
I actually like your vocal mixing more than mine!

Hey !

Thanks a lot for your comment !
I actually mix only with headphones for now, cause I don't have monitors yet. That's probably why I usually struggle with reverbs and delays.
I will get monitor pretty soon, so I will fix my mix then.

And I wish you a happy new year Smile
Can't hear the bass!
Yeah, that's a point. The Bass is supposed to drive the song a lot without sticking on top too much. Try to pull the whole guitar and bass group to the front. Smile
Ok so I get my monitors yesterday ! So I'm doing a complete new mix from scratch ! This time, guitars and bass will be much more to the front, I promise Wink

Let's hope you will still enjoy my vocal mixing :p
Ok, so here is a new mix from scratch, with my new monitors (and still my AKG K240 headphones).
I spent much more time with just panning and faders to get a more balanced mix before adding any EQ or compression. I even added automation before the rest. It really helps to give a more accurate mix.

I placed guitars and bass much more in front. The reverb is this time very very subtil. Only one delay is used on the picking guitar at the start of the outro.
I added some FX on the second bass and the second lead vox.

This is not a mastered version. Just the limiter to bring some volume.

Let me know what you think !

.m4a    Semantics - new mix - no master.m4a --  (Download: 9.89 MB)