Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Patrick Talbot: 'A Reason To Leave'
Hi!

Here goes my take on another great song from Mr. Talbot.

EDIT: current version "V3"

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave_V2.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

.mp3    Patrick Talbot - A Reason To Leave_V3.mp3 --  (Download: 9.77 MB)

Glad you like the song. And that's a nice mix Valladares!
I quite like the ambience in the intro and first verse. I think the second verse could get a bit more drive.
The lower bgv that is doubling the lead during the chorus is intended to be more subliminal than heard, I think it should come down in level. I like that you've kept the bass quite hot, I think it's what's driving the chorus.
The bgvs in the chorus and drop are sounding good.
The guitars are perhaps a little too soft during the chorus (the one on the right in particular is supposed to be a bit grittier and perhaps a little louder). As much as possible, I think you should emphasize the contrast between the sections. This song is all about that for me, and as much as the material allows I can tell you that I've pushed the chorus A LOT to get the feeling I was after...
The last guitar solo is perhaps a little too wet, I would try to bring it closer to the foreground... there's lots of other parts that happens in the outro that can help make this last part punchier.
So, a good mix, but I think you can make it even better. Keep it up! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thank you, Patrick!
I've just uploaded an improved version (V2) with the corrections you've pointed out. Did some level/eq work to bring more punch and energy to the chorus. I've adjusted the reverb/delay settings on the last guitar solo to place it a little tad upfront and loud.
I'm up to your thoughts about it... hope you enjoy!
Second version sounds much better to me Valladares! I think there's a better balance and better contrasts between the sections.
Vocal sounds nice and cuts nicely (and that low double is now more subtle, which I think fits better), and the bgvs are nice and wide.
I would try to pan the second guitar during the chorus more to the right and push the first one's level (automate that) and pan to the left so that they balance during the chorus and provide a much wider punchy sound.
I'm missing a bit of the end guitars added during the outro, they are a bit lost in the middle, you could try to pan them out of center so that they are audible, right now they aren't.
Other than that, much better IMHO. Great job!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I've posted another version (V3), with the adjustments on the chorus and on the outro, hope you like!
Sounds good Valladares! Only thing that's bothering me is the first solo being panned that much to the right, it's a bit weird there.
It's a lead, so I would place it center or close to center, and then automate that track to have the guitar right during the chorus.
Other than that sounds good! Smile

Some air moved here
Issue identified, issue fixed, file replaced!!
Wink