Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Talk To Me Baby_mixed by Tommy Marcinek
This is my newest mix of this song. I had done a previous one but deleted the whole post figuring it's easier just to create a new one. Taking suggestions from you guys regarding the previous mix, I think that THIS mix is much better. Also, I gave the guitar solo a nice distorted rock sound, which I thought this song really needed. I used a guitar emulation plugin to do that. Overall I think the balance is good and much better compared to my previous mix. As per your observations, I overdid it with the de-essing of the vocal in the previous mix. So now the vocal is more present but still the sibliance is pretty well controlled, I think.

Recorded in the box using Cubase 5. Various plugins, mostly Waves. Any additional feedback would be appreciated and thanks for those of you who did comment on my previous mix. Because of your constructive critiques I put in much more time and devotion to this great song and I am much happier with this mix as a result....so thanks again guys. :-)

Tommy Marcinek

.mp3    Talk To Me Baby_ver11.mp3 --  (Download: 7.18 MB)

tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Nice one Tommy. I think I remember your previous mix and agree that this one is better.
Only thing that's bothering me is the kick: it seems too compressed and/or loud compared to the rest of the kit.
I like the distortion you've added on the lead guitar, but I would try to tame a little bit of the fizz on it. One thing I've learned to do on fizzy guitars is to use a de-esser. I think this would help.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
(21-12-2014, 04:52 AM)ptalbot Wrote: Nice one Tommy. I think I remember your previous mix and agree that this one is better.
Only thing that's bothering me is the kick: it seems too compressed and/or loud compared to the rest of the kit.
I like the distortion you've added on the lead guitar, but I would try to tame a little bit of the fizz on it. One thing I've learned to do on fizzy guitars is to use a de-esser. I think this would help.

Dear Patrick,

Thanks for the further suggestions and tips! :-) I've also downloaded the track for your tune A Reason To Leave, which I've been wanting to try. I've put in several hours already into it. Got a few creative ideas on that song.....I'll see if they work as I continue to work on the mix.

Tom
tommymarcinek.com - Tommy Marcinek
Cool! Can't wait to hear that! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here