Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Too bright
Another song I mixed. It has 2000s vibe to it especialy in choruses. Tell me what you think about it. Critics as well as constructive things are welcome.

.mp3    bright.mp3 --  (Download: 10.39 MB)

In the verses you're trying too hard to separate the instruments with EQ. You'll end up with poorly translating mixes. Blend them more to get more balanced mix across different listening environments. Current approach might work if have like 200 tracks but here you don't.

It's even worse in the chorus, because it has even fewer elements. Now it actually sounds like the chorus is coming quieter than the verses. Have more bottom end in the vocals and more top end in the synth bass to create overall more balanced tone into the mix.

I like the way the electric guitars sound in the middle-eight. I also think the vocal delay that's not set to any tempo is a bold move (in a good way), forces me to listen the vocal.

It's even worse in the chorus, because it has even fewer elements. Now it actually sounds like the chorus is coming quieter than the verses. Have more bottom end in the vocals and more top end in the synth bass to create overall more balanced tone into the mix.

I know, but synth bass sounded harsh with that high end to it so I used hi cut on it to tame it.
I like a lot of what you've done here, especially the nice relaxed vibe in the verses. I think that your vision for the mix and execution are pretty close. In fact the more I listen to your mix the more I like it.

Maybe fine tuning the FX during the choruses would be of benefit - as they sound a little washed out at the moment. Possibly the levels are too high and the choice of ambiance too small, hence the need to push the levels...... but I'm only guessing. Its a tricky one though as the material provided isn't particularly conducive to being "chorusy"
Good mix man! I would boost some body back into the chorus snare and add some fat reverb! lol the verb on there sounds great, id leave that and add another one like a deep hall or weird IR impulse that you can tweak to fit and fill up the back end of the mix during the choruses.

On my mix, I used 2 doubles of the lead vocal (chorus) and panned left and right, and then added a telephone filter for the center. I blended the distorted leads in with the BG vox so they sounded together. I then used careful automation to bring the middle up for the first "Its much too.." and down for "bright" so the BG vox would take over the lead. I also bussed my BG vox and added a stereo delay and tweaked the time and feedback until it sounded like a full choir of people.

Are you stacking compressors on the vocals?? I like, reductive EQ > comp, GR of 1.5-2 dB on the peaks > Same comp with more GR 5-10 dB-ish (to liking/style/need) > additive EQ. Works very well for me, especially with badly tracked vocals.

all in all, good job!
I do not know if I stacked compressors or not, all I know is I did something that sounds good.