Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Through My Eyes MIX
Hi!

This morning I made a mix of this nice Disney track Smile.

Comments are welcome!

.mp3    Through My Eyes RJMIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.34 MB)

nobody? Smile
Lovely opening vocal sound as far, as the highs are concerned in particular, although with perhaps a touch too much low mids. Yes, they do give intimacy, but it's a trade-off between that and woolliness. The balance when the full band arrive is well-judged and well-controlled, and has slightly more rhythmic drive than my version, which I quite like. (It's your weightier kick that's doing it, I think.) It actually gives a bit more ebb and flow to the section dynamics too, which appeals to me as well. Good idea!

The HF jangle on the acoustic guitars is more that I did too, but again I like the way you've made it work. It doesn't go so far that it distracts from the lead lines, but gives a twinkliness to the arrangement as a whole that makes the mark-tree tinklings somehow more of a natural extension. An interesting side-effect.

One suggestion: I think your mix feels a bit narrow in stereo. A few spots of widener-effect here and there and a touch more realism and 'height' in the communal space you're creating with your reverbs would be improvements to my ears. A touch more 700kHz might not be a bad idea either -- because there's a hint of hollowness about the ensemble texture a times. You could probably get away with allowing a bit more of the low midrange from the guitars and piano through into the balance, even if that means pulling back the bass a little in that region. That might help your mix envelop the listener a bit more.

Thanks for posting!
Hi Mike,

Thanks, for your elaborate feedback!
After listening to my first (quick) mix I agree with the low end of the lead-vocal. I tamed it a little bit. (mix2)

Regarding the stereo image: I am not really sure whether I align with the general stereo image comment. I tried to enhance the image on the solo guitar, as a sort of spot effect, but for the rest I didnt' really feel need for extra spot effects/wideners. I am really curious if you can give some concrete spots/effects where you would like to hear the extra depth!

Funny that you mention it, I find the 700Hz region can be tricky sometimes: too much of it and it can sound 'cheap' , to less and you can lose 'meat'. In the new mix I dialled back a little bit of low-mids, however It feels that it's at the edge of getting muddy...?

RJ

(20-02-2013, 01:23 PM)Mike Senior Wrote: Lovely opening vocal sound as far, as the highs are concerned in particular, although with perhaps a touch too much low mids. Yes, they do give intimacy, but it's a trade-off between that and woolliness. The balance when the full band arrive is well-judged and well-controlled, and has slightly more rhythmic drive than my version, which I quite like. (It's your weightier kick that's doing it, I think.) It actually gives a bit more ebb and flow to the section dynamics too, which appeals to me as well. Good idea!

The HF jangle on the acoustic guitars is more that I did too, but again I like the way you've made it work. It doesn't go so far that it distracts from the lead lines, but gives a twinkliness to the arrangement as a whole that makes the mark-tree tinklings somehow more of a natural extension. An interesting side-effect.

One suggestion: I think your mix feels a bit narrow in stereo. A few spots of widener-effect here and there and a touch more realism and 'height' in the communal space you're creating with your reverbs would be improvements to my ears. A touch more 700kHz might not be a bad idea either -- because there's a hint of hollowness about the ensemble texture a times. You could probably get away with allowing a bit more of the low midrange from the guitars and piano through into the balance, even if that means pulling back the bass a little in that region. That might help your mix envelop the listener a bit more.

Thanks for posting!

Another great mix of yours Smile

I agree with Mike, a little more 700kHz could be nice ! (joking about the typing mistake Wink .
Love the drum ambiance. Your kick is just splendid and makes a solid "chair" for the mix to sit on !

I listened to v2 while reading, and find that there could be even less low mid on the lead vocals... not much, but it still a little muddy compared to the rest of the mix.

Your piano sound is just great, and i love your classical guitar treatment, almost sounds like a baryton guitar sometimes, with lot of body and a very pleasant "wood" sound..

Great job !
He Xabix,

Thanks for your reply!

Yeah, that 700kHz range really gives the mix the needed sparkle and you can also use your speaker as an antenna! Smile

About the lows on the vocal: Personally I would not cut it back more, since in this song the vocal is most important..

RJ

(07-03-2013, 04:37 PM)Xabix Wrote: Another great mix of yours Smile

I agree with Mike, a little more 700kHz could be nice ! (joking about the typing mistake Wink .
Love the drum ambiance. Your kick is just splendid and makes a solid "chair" for the mix to sit on !

I listened to v2 while reading, and find that there could be even less low mid on the lead vocals... not much, but it still a little muddy compared to the rest of the mix.

Your piano sound is just great, and i love your classical guitar treatment, almost sounds like a baryton guitar sometimes, with lot of body and a very pleasant "wood" sound..

Great job !

Hi! after more than 10 yrs I remixed this song from scratch (V3), just for the fun of it Smile
Not sure if it has improved..

Cheers!