Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 2 Average
µ : 'Too Bright'
First again, come on people are slacking on here .

.mp3    Too bright.mp3 --  (Download: 10.26 MB)

Man, you really are a mixing machine! Big Grin

The only thing that I can think of that might improve the mix is to replace/enhance the snare that is a bit boxy right now.
I don't know. Might be genre related but I don't think it sounds that great.

Didn't listen to the reference mix, but apart from that everything sounds pretty good to me... not 'too bright' on my headphones! Wink
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
I should have added a sample really as I think its the main thing that was bugging me.
I will mix again as I always do.Cheers for feedback.I would have enjoyed a rusty spike in the eye
more than I enjoyed mixing this if im honest.
Listen to the reference mix if you think my snare is bad
I'm also seeing some issues with the verse snare at least. I'm not hearing the "punch". I'm suspecting some summing issues with the two snare tracks. I suggest you check the polarities to see if you've got some bottom end hidden there. I feel this is a recurring problem in your mixes: different mics from a same source don't sum well. It all starts with the polarity switch. Phase is more powerful than EQ, you cannot add anything with an EQ that the summing of multiple channels is taking away. I wonder if you have latency compensation issues (or turned off). Also in this song the snare tracks were really thin to begin with, don't be afraid to add 15 dBs to 200 Hz to "normalize" it. I wasn't Wink

FWIW the chorus snare sounds just fine.

However many other things in the chorus don't. First of all the doubled backing vocals almost beg to be panned to opposite sides to create that "big, modern" sounds. The synth bass should also feature some "bass" Smile It's also a silly choice to pan it off center. In electronica genres it's usually not a problem to widen those bass synths with some doubling FX to make them sound bigger. The fewer the elements, the bigger everything can be.

You really nailed the vocals in this mix. The verse vocals sound spot on! The low pass filter on the chorus lead vocal is a bit crude solution but it gets the job done; no more harshness.
Cheers for feedback spede.I did play with the phase but it needs a sample really but will mix again.I cant remember panning the bass lol.
mix 2

.mp3    too bright master...mp3 --  (Download: 4.17 MB)

Just listened to version 2. Sounds great to me. I agree with Spede that you really nailed the vocals on this one!
To mix or not to mix ... mix!
mix 2 sounds perfect to me! and you also gave me some inspiration now that I'm mixing this one Smile
mixing since April 2013
The vocal sounds a lot better than anything I managed, but the bass guitar is really chaotic during the verses... it feels like there's way too much rumbling around on the bottom.
I'm grateful for comments and suggestions. Thank you for listening!
Cheers for feedback all of you