Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What Child Is This - Olli H
No special tricks, just basic mixing.

.mp3    141214-what-child-olli-h.mp3 --  (Download: 8.09 MB)

This is definitely a tune that didn't seem to need or want much help, that's for sure. All I did with mine was try to focus on enhancing what was there and adding in the sweetners. Just throwing all the faders up gave a pretty decent sound as you seem to have discovered.

One thing I found with this tune is that it benefits from a fair amount of clip gain automation in most tracks. If you can even that out, the compressors do a much better job of managing the rest of it. I think maybe the lead vocal could use a little more compression. He's got a little too much power at times. Especially at the breaks between phrases where the instruments give way to the vocal harmonies.

Other than that comment, I can't hear anything that immediately grabs me.
Good mix, Olli!
Old West Audio
THanks for listening.
Actually I did quite much "clip gain" automation (or pre effects take envelope as it is called in Reaper. I'm about to abandon ProTools and change to Reaper). But maybe I should have done more the automation, as you heard inconsitencies in vox level. Smile
Oh, my track is just loaded with it as well and I did more after I posted. Both clip gain so that the coimpressor behaved consistantly and then volume automation to clean up the presentation. I know protools but can't speak to Reaper. (I use Sonar X3 myself and while it's okay, I'm personally thinking I ought to explore Cubase because of the number of random bugs I'm encountering.)
Old West Audio