Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
First post, first mix...Patrick Talbot: Blue
Hello everyone, here's my first post and first mix.
I'm a drummer and living room musician...always been playing with recording and mixing my band's music throughout the last 20 years...never professionally...now found the time to finally embrace the digital revolution...anyway, here's my take on this very nice song.
Still not 100% happy about the vocals eq...
Any opinions more than welcome.

NEW: 2021 mix added

Got back to this song after a few years, still a great song and quite interesting to compare it to my first mix...

.mp3    PatrickTalbot_Blue_FabioG_mix_03.mp3 --  (Download: 6.28 MB)

.mp3    GhostlyBeard_Blue_2021.mp3 --  (Download: 8.37 MB)

The music sound nice cosy. Only the vocals are a hard one. I had the same problems while i worked on it. They seem so difficult to match with the rest of the music.
Not to far, not to close.. But the overall sound fits nice.

Great job

Thanks Paulo, really appreciate your comments. The vocals are so important in this song...I maybe left it a bit too loud too, but you're right, I need to shape it a bit more tho fit with the rest of the music...
Thanks again!
Good attempt manor_project! I think the vocals are a bit too loud indeed, the kick is also dominating the drum mix, and the bass and kick are sometimes a bit overbearing. I think the vocal treatment is good though, I know there was a lot of sibilance and issues (sorry about that) but it doesn't transpire on your mix, so good points for that! Smile
Keep it up!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks very much for your feedback Patrick!
I wanted to keep the voice very prominent, but yes, I did keep it a bit too prominent...may I ask what mic did you use?
I am trying to achieve a David Sylvian sort of warmth/tone as I believe it will sit very well with the song mood and I'm currently working on this...
As per the bass and kick, I believe I've left them both a bit too hyped, so scooping and making room for each other frequencies should clean things up...
New mix coming up...Thanks again!
I used a SM57 on this song. I know.
I generally use a condenser (first I've used a Blue Spark, and now an ADK Hamburg), but for this one I couldn't find the kind of tone I wanted, so I tried with a SM57 and I tracked it pretty close to take advantage of the proximity effect.
It seems that it has created more issues than it has solved. Sorry about that.
I've learned a lesson with this one though! Smile
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
New 2021 mix in first post.

I got back to this song after a few years. Been dedicating more time to mixing, currently doing a 'proper' production course and need practice...always really liked this song.