Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
My It Was My Fault Mix
Here is my attempt at mixing this song. My aim was to make it sound as natural as possible. What do you think, is it any good ?

.mp3    It Was My Fault_master.mp3 --  (Download: 4.69 MB)

.mp3    It Was My Fault_master2.mp3 --  (Download: 7.03 MB)

I'm afraid it doesn't sound natural, actually I find it very muddy right now.
The bass sounds like rumble (lacks definition), and the guitars are eating all the space...
The vocal sounds good during the quiet part (with just piano) but is masked by the guitars and low rumble.
I would try to look at each track and filter as much mud as possible.
Also it's weird that the hi-hat suddenly appear (and is very loud) during the second verse but it completely absent the rest of the time.
So in short, I think you need to work on the clarity and balance of your mix to make it sound natural IMHO.
Keep it up!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanx for the comments ptalbot. I've uploaded a new version of the mix and I have removed more low-end from the bass and eq'ed the guitar bus to try and make more room for the vocals. Also went through alle tracks to remove as much low -end as possible. I think my main problem is that I mix in a untreated room. I've always had problems with muddy mixes, so now I´m going to invest in some foam Big Grin
(12-12-2014, 07:21 PM)zaphop Wrote: Thanx for the comments ptalbot. I've uploaded a new version of the mix and I have removed more low-end from the bass and eq'ed the guitar bus to try and make more room for the vocals. Also went through alle tracks to remove as much low -end as possible. I think my main problem is that I mix in a untreated room. I've always had problems with muddy mixes, so now I´m going to invest in some foam Big Grin

Foam won't make ANY difference in the low end.
It's too light material to absorb any of it.
Real bass traps will help, but in any case you will probably never have a perfect representation of the low-end. Good headphones are probably more helpful for that matter than imperfect rooms. And referencing pro mixes as well as using spectral analyzer.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Talking about foam and basstraps, I'm aware that I need bass traps to absorb some low end, but do you think buying these bass traps will be a waste of money ?

http://www.thomann.de/gb/acousti_pro_air...ap_2er.htm

I would try to find some info about the actual frequency these bass traps are supposed to treat.
You would need some pretty dense material to be efficient.
The producer of these should provide some clues about what frequencies these targets and what kind of coefficient of absorption to expect.

Some air moved here