Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
ptalbot,blue.mix 1,2
hi ptalbot love the track so i thought i will give it a go at mixing,my only problem really was some of the tracks was printed with effects,not like there is anything wrong with it,it just limited my creativity with delays alittle anyway hope you like it,and everybody else for that matter,please leave any comments,cudjoe
i have redone mix with less effects,i hope this one is better,cudjoe

.mp3    PTALBOT,blue.mp3 --  (Download: 10.45 MB)

.mp3    PTALBOT,blue 2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.42 MB)

Yeah, I printed the effects on the guitar (coming from a Kemper Profiling Amplifier) because that really was an integral part of the sound I was after. I never use the reverb on it though, but the delay on this was really part of it.
I find you mix a bit too bright, and overly hyped with stereo widening (it seems to me).
The vocal is drowned in the middle of that wall of effects.
I think you should try and go easier on the effects... Good attempt though. Keep it up!
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
i have redone the track hope it is better,cudjoe
Mix 2 sounds definitely better to me Cudjoe. More natural sounding, less hyped sound, I think it fits better.
I'm not sure about the delay on the vibes though, I think they are too pronounced, being quite short, it doubles all the notes and makes it seem like the "player" is doing tremolo on everything, which is a bit too much IMHO.
Apart from that, I like the balance between the vocal and bgvs, and the drums/bass/guitar are sounding good.
"Music, in performance, is a type of sculpture. The air in the performance is sculpted into something." - Frank Zappa

Some air moved here
Thanks again,
Hi!
Nice song ptalbot I didn't realize thats a home recording since I've read the description.
Could You write a bit what You've used in this recording I'm curious about the setup.
Cudjoe again great mix and nice to know that the compositor also says that Smile
The only thing I would personally change is the amount of low end in the song compared to commercial productions.
Also the timing on the lead and background voices is sometimes out of sync. I'm pretty sure at 2:01 something like that is happening, the background voices a bit after the main voice.
But that's jut me, if the artist is satisfied then You can be too Smile

P.S.: Did You try to use parallel compression on the voice? Maybe i would sound a little bit more fat in the mix.
Love for music in the world devoid of feelings.
https://www.youtube.com/user/exotrio
I'm using a lot of VSTs... For drums, Superior Drummer, in this case the Roots Brushes SDX. For bass, Spectrasonics Trillian.
Rhodes is Applied Acoustic Lounge Lizard EP-4, and the vibra and toy piano are samples in Kontakt.
Drums and bass, I spend a lot of time dialing in velocity and timing to make them as organic and real as possible...
For guitars, I use a Variax JTV-89 (with models of a hollow body, and a LP special), and I'm using a Kemper Profiling Amplifier for guitar amps. Don't remember exactly what amp profiles I've used here, possibly a Fender Vibrolux, and a Hiwatt 100, or Marshall Bluesbreaker... For the vocal I said before that I made the mistake of using a SM57 too close. I should have used a condenser, I have an ADK Hamburg that I usually use.

Some air moved here
Hi patrick reading your article it's good to hear the amount of effort you inject into your session, sounds good for it too,keep it up.