Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Who I Am
Here's my version of "Who I Am". It was fun mixing a country tune, as I enjoy hearing acoustic instruments like the fiddle, banjo, mandolin and dobro. I took some liberty with the intro by making it longer and giving it more energy. Thanks for listening and for any feedback.

.mp3    Who I Am.mp3 --  (Download: 7.42 MB)

Hm, I don't know if extending the intro still falls under "mixing", but I like it! If I count correctly, the first kick hits on the 6th eighth ("3 and"), and that of course fits the song. However, it may be easier for the listener to spot the one if the first kick hits, like, on the 3rd quarter ("3"). Or even on the one itself. I mean, why not add another full bar while you're already at it?

I like the overall frequency balance, given that this is a more polished mix. But even on that condition, I find the compression too heavy, and hindering a relaxed listen deeper into the mix's details -- doing which would otherwise be promising.
Thanks, ThePhonk, for listening and for your feedback.

As for the intro, I think I read somewhere on this site that we could experiment with other arrangements, but of course I can't find it right now. Dodgy I also think the introductory drum fill fits the song, and if it takes the listener a second to get his bearings, that's ok. It creates interest. Smile

As for the compression, I could take that down a bit pretty easily. In fact, I should probably get some country reference songs to compare my mixes to. Thanks for the tip.
(30-12-2012, 09:29 PM)gdugan2 Wrote: Here's my version of "Who I Am". It was fun mixing a country tune, as I enjoy hearing acoustic instruments like the fiddle, banjo, mandolin and dobro. I took some liberty with the intro by making it longer and giving it more energy. Thanks for listening and for any feedback.

That opening had a bit TOO much energy IMHO; nearly took my ears off at my usual listening volume. Confused

Here's the thing. This is an excellent mix overall with nice, full bass (something that's often missing in modern mixes), nice rich vocals and a pleasing stereo spread. Only one thing ruins it:

Sounds to me like you're using compression in your master buss. Personally, I don't think this kind of music needs ANY compression in mastering but if you're going to use it with acoustic music you need to use it sparingly or all the space and natural sound of the instruments gets "squashed" out.

I suspect you'd have a much more pleasing mix here if you'd try running the same mix without the compression in the final mastering.
John A. Ardelli
Pedaling Prince Pictures
http://www.youtube.com/user/PedalingPrince