Poll: Mix quality
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
Bad...
0%
0 0%
Ok.
33.33%
1 33.33%
Good
33.33%
1 33.33%
Very Good
33.33%
1 33.33%
Total 3 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
South of the Water MIX
Hey!

My first post on this forum.
Tried to make a 'natural' sounding, in-your-face mix.

Happy to hear your comments!

RJ

.mp3    South of the Water RJMIX2.mp3 --  (Download: 4 MB)

.mp3    South of the Water RJMIX3.mp3 --  (Download: 4 MB)

Hi RJ,

I did not participate in your poll, because I consider it quite useless. If I'd voted "Good", what would you gain from that? To me, the value of this forum lies in discovering alternative motivations, visions and ways of execution, and understanding what works when, with what and why. "Good" does not tell you anything about any of these.

Fact is: after a brief listen and without examining the multitracks or the other mixes much, I find your mix very solid in almost every respect. I think i understand what you mean by 'natural', and I think you accomplished a good bit of it -- within the boundaries set by the raw material. My only complaint at this point is that the drums 'click' too much in the 6.5 kHz region.

Thanks for sharing your mix!

Marc
Hi Marc, I agree on your opinion regarding the poll (I thought it was a standard poll, but it after the post it turned out that I had to fill in myself, anyways...).

Thanks for your comments on the mix!

edit: the click was a too opportunistic EQ on the Kick, indeed around 7k Smile
mix1 replaced by mix2//

RJ
(31-12-2012, 08:32 AM)ERJEE Wrote: I agree on your opinion regarding the poll

I know what you mean. I almost disabled the polling function for the Discussion Zone, but figured some people might find it useful occasionally.

A very good mix Erjee !

Just one think i'd like to point out : Hat and Tambourine are way too loud for me ...
But the rest of the mix is really good and powerfull Smile

Thanks, Xabix!

I listened the mix again (after quite some weeks) and I agree on the tambourine. The hats I found only a little too loud.
Check the new mix (MIX3).

It really helps leaving a mix for at least a week and then reassess it (at a rough level). On the other hand, I think in general a mixer has to be careful not to spend too much time on a mix, because you can loose yourself in details the average listener really not hears...

RJ

(07-03-2013, 05:05 PM)Xabix Wrote: A very good mix Erjee !

Just one think i'd like to point out : Hat and Tambourine are way too loud for me ...
But the rest of the mix is really good and powerfull Smile

I totally agree with you about not losing ourselves in details... and not spend too much time on a mix !
Many of commercial records are mixed very quickly, without 2 or 3 weeks resting our ears before coming back again on small details that no one will pay attention to Smile

But this forum is quite different in the way that we can focus on details and share together how we could achieve the best of our job...

Nice job for your V3 !
As a "client" i would say let's go... it's good !

Nice to hear from you. Cheers Smile
Agree, that's what this forum is for!

RJ

(15-03-2013, 09:28 AM)Xabix Wrote: I totally agree with you about not losing ourselves in details... and not spend too much time on a mix !
Many of commercial records are mixed very quickly, without 2 or 3 weeks resting our ears before coming back again on small details that no one will pay attention to Smile

But this forum is quite different in the way that we can focus on details and share together how we could achieve the best of our job...

Nice job for your V3 !
As a "client" i would say let's go... it's good !

Nice to hear from you. Cheers Smile