Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Much Too Much (mixed at The Shack)
I'm definitely a newbie with big band jazz. I appreciate any feedback on my mix. Thanks in advance ...

.mp3    Much Too Much - V2.mp3 --  (Download: 10.17 MB)

I think either your mix buss compressor's threshold is set too low, or the ratio a little too high. When the signal gets really hot, your mix gets really "squeezed" maybe bring all of your faders down by 6 dB or so. Your bass seems a tad thin, imo. Your piano may be a touch too high, but not hateful, as I like to hear the piano cut in a big band mix. Now, if you were going for a true stage performance mix, then the piano is much too much ;-) (I'm terrible, i know). I like your use of the double on the scat, cool idea.

Thanks for sharing!

Draper
Thanks. The piano provided was a stereo track with definite phase issue. I tried a few phase flip options, before splitting the track into 2 and nudging one of the tracks around. I figured that after all that work I best make sure it's not lost in the background! Unfortunately my only big band jazz style reference track in my iTunes is a Frank Sinatra song, and I wasn't really sure how it should sound. My master bus compressor is probably not the squeeze issue, but I did then push it through a limiter at the end. I reckon I should let the compressor do more and the limiter do less. I'll have another listen with that in mind. Thanks for your thoughts. Much appreciated.

Perry
Would like more from the bassplayer. As it comes up you might need to tweak the bassdrum wich I believe have a little too much sub in it for the genre. Mix sound good to me, maybe "dated" but that is not a bad thing for this genre. Maybe Michael Buble would be good as a "modern" reference.
I like your version ,I agree about the bass being soft compered to the kick ,I might have another go at this one as was one of my early DAW mixes after many years of live mixing and went for a more modern sound with one of my favourite jazz CD's called Come in Spinner by Vince Jones And Grace Night as a Reference Big Grin.

Cheers.