Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
English Actor (excerpt) quickmix
Here's my latest 1hr quickmix (i try to do these daily). Cool tune here. Given more than an hour I would attack those vocals with a fine-tooth comb. Today I just had time to do a quick tune and nudge them forward a bit.

Enjoy!!

.mp3    English Actor AG quickmix.mp3 --  (Download: 742.31 KB)

There's a lot of reasonably balancing going on here, but you're right that this is a mix that really needs the vocals to be well edited, because otherwise you're always going to struggle to get them to blend. However, even when you deal with that, I still think you're going to need more in the way of ambience reverb to get those vocals to sit with the rest of the band -- they're very much 'on top' at the moment. You've also got some pretty heavy sibilance too, so a de-esser after the compression would make a lot of sense here too.

Overall the tonality feels as if it's a bit light on the low end, especially the kick drum. I'd turn the kick up 2-3dB at least, and probably give it a bit more 60-80Hz into the bargain. It's got some subs in there, though, so be careful of pushing those up too much at the same time. I think those are fine as they are. The snare is coming through nicely, but feels a bit slimline given the generally pretty epic synths and guitars, so I'd give that some rich ambience or layer in an additional sample to give that a bit of sustain and width.
Thanks for the reply/critique Mike!

Upon listening back now, I agree on all points. If I get a second I may go back and tweak with this all in mind.

Take care,
AG